Breaking Up With My Cell Phone

Breaking Up With My Cell Phone

If you aren’t mindful about the way you consume media, you will allow it to consume you.
135

I've owned a phone since the second grade, and I've been through all sorts of phases with them:

1) the "use it to call my parents" phase

2) the "use it to play snake/solitaire" phase

3) the "use it to text my friends" phase

4) the "use it to listen to music" phase

5) the "use it to log onto AOL Instant Messenger" phase

And then about 5 years ago, on came along SOCIAL MEDIA, changing the whole ball game.

I thus entered a new "relationship," or phase, with my phone, one that I'd like to call:

The "I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU!"

I never thought that being overly attached to my phone was a serious problem until I came to the realization that I was using my phone to RUN AWAY.

Run away from what, you ask?

a) My awkwardness when I was in a room full of strangers I didn't know

b) My boredom/lack of motivation

c) My anxiety when it came to doing homework/anything else that seemed like it required too much brain juice

I then started to see that that I no longer spent time doing the things I actually LOVED, things like:

a) Finding and reading really amazing books

b) Engaging artistically (Painting, writing, drawing)

c) Having conversations with my parents (that did not involve me trying to maintain eye- contact with them while simultaneously texting my friends and checking all my social media accounts)

d) Practicing the piano (It has gotten rather dusty, I'm ashamed to say)

e) Problem-Solving/Critically Thinking (Because now I can just Google everything)

f) SLEEPING. (Texting friends, watching random videos > afternoon naps)

^ I gave all of those things simply because I was too hooked on social media.

This God-inspired realization made made me incredibly sad. I thought back to who I was when I wasn't overly attached to my phone. I was so much more creative and so much more ENERGETIC. I never fell asleep in class. I never compared my image to anyone else's. I never felt the urge to check my phone every 3 minutes. I felt free being me.

This year, I decided I wanted to go back to the "me" I was without a phone, except without giving up my phone entirely.

It has been a work in progress, but I see so much change in me ALREADY.

I'm less connected to my phone now and I'm more connected to the part of me that I lost to technology.

Here are 10 of the best things I ever did to detach from my cell phone usage:

1. Limiting the amount of social media apps I use.

2. Leaving my phone at home when I don't need to bring it with me.

3. Turning my phone on airplane mode 30 minutes before going to sleep.

4. Leaving my phone in my purse when I'm out with friends so that I am not constantly looking at it when I get notifications.

5. Buying a normal watch so that I'm not always checking my phone for the time (and thus avoiding any temptation to start using my phone for other things)

6. Refusing to BINGE on my photo-taking and photo-sharing. Not every moment in life is meant to be captured or shared. However, every moment is meant to be LIVED, and I intend on living in every moment by keeping my phone out of sight as much as possible.

7. When I wake up in the morning, I keep my phone on airplane mode UNTIL I absolutely have to use my cell phone service. That way, I'm not starting my day off by responding to a bunch of messages AND comparing myself to everyone else's lives on social media. I start off my day with a heart that is at rest and full of gratitude!

8. Responding to messages and emails later if they can wait. This breaks the cycle of ALWAYS having to be on your phone.

9. Deleting VERY DISTRACTING APPS temporarily (do it permanently if you have to!) There are times where I delete Instagram and FaceBook for a couple of days at a time so that I can step away from social media and catch up on other more important things.

10. Being conscious of your phone usage and constantly asking yourself as you use your phone, "Is there anything else I can be doing with my time?"

The phone can be a GREAT thing, if you're using it for the right reason and at the right time. However, if you can be doing something more LIVE-GIVING than sitting and staring at a screen, DO THAT INSTEAD. Develop your gifts. Remember what you’re passionate about. You were made to be so much more than a slave to your phone. If you aren’t mindful about the way you consume media - you will allow it to consume you.