Breaking Tradition

Breaking Tradition

I never realized growing up meant growing out of old traditions.

13
Breaking Tradition

There’s nothing more comforting to many people than tradition. My family is no exception to this rule. Every year for thanksgiving, we would start out our day with my dad’s side of the family. My uncle always had a fried turkey waiting on us, and Mammaw always made her special mac n cheese for my cousin and me. After gluttonously enjoying lunch and good coffee with that side of the family, we would make our way home to change into more comfortable clothing—typically of the stretchable variety. Then, we’d pack up again and go to my mom’s side. My GranGran always outdid herself, and I don’t think anyone ever complained after a thanksgiving dinner at her house. My mom always seemed to make a habit out of staying later than she intended. We would sit around the dining room table looking at the papers and ads for black Friday, and she and her sister would share stories and gossip about people I never knew.

But with time comes change. I think that as humans we are aware of the inevitability of change, but none of us really want to accept it when it comes around. In the past year, my family has experienced more change at one time than I think we ever could have imagined. From changes in careers to changes in residents, this house has seen some alterations like no other in my family’s life. This thanksgiving was no exception.

My uncle decided to spend Thanksgiving Day with his wife’s family this year, and his kids spent it with their mother. Instead of going to my mom’s side for dinner and good stories, we stayed at home and made our own thanksgiving. This was the first year we had thanksgiving with just our small family. My mom and I were in the kitchen together, making new memories and inside jokes. Instead of the usual group of four sitting at the dining room table talking about god knows what, my mom’s best friend, my sister's boyfriend, and my dad’s mom joined us. When we all finished eating, it was a different group of women I sat at the table talking with. After my mom's friend had gone and my sister left with her boyfriend, it was only her, my grandma, and me in the living room. There was no raucous arguing over what t.v. show to watch. There was no one to play board games with. There was no usual thanksgiving feeling.

I don’t think I anticipated adulthood to creep into my life so quickly. I’m in my second year of college, and sometimes I still feel like I’m not old enough to be here. When my mom first told me we were having thanksgiving at our house this year, I was offended. Not because my family was spending their thanksgiving holiday with their other family members, but because everyone was making plans and changing things without me being there to be a part of everything.

Sitting around the table, I took a cliché moment to look around at my family. I started with my mom’s best friend, then my parents, ending with my grandma. I took that moment to really admire each of them, and I’m glad I did. I know we all have these cheesy Lifetime movies that teach us the true meaning of Christmas and Thanksgiving, and we never really want to admit that they’re right. There’s so much more to this holiday than a schedule or a fried turkey or who will be there. We should all just be grateful to be with who we have and the time we have to spend with them. As I sat with my mom and grandma later that evening, I couldn't help but smile because they were just happy to have me there and happy to be with me.

While it wasn’t the same, our holiday was not in any way ruined. As my grandma and I washed dishes, I realized a few things.

1. I really, REALLY like stuffing.
  2. My family quotes Disney movies way too much.
  3. I inherited my sass from my grandma and my eye roll from my mom.
  4. Cranberry and turkey is straight fire.
  5. This family believes that sweet tea is the only beverage to accompany any holiday meal.
  6. If you eat in intervals, you can eat way more than you expect.
  7. Sometimes when things change, it could turn out to be for the better.