Breakfast with Titus Kaphar Part 2

Breakfast with Titus Kaphar Part 2

The second part of the breakfast Q and A session with Titus Kaphar

21
Breakfast with Titus Kaphar Part 2
TED.com

On November 15th, I got to have breakfast with Titus Kaphar a world-renowned artist and forefront in the social justice movement revolutionizing the world with his artwork.

Part 1 of my breakfast with Titus articles had a lot to do with the social justice applications that were discussed in the breakfast Q and A. This second part is to address the artists and the questions that were analyzed during the influential meeting.

As an artist, I want to be able to make pieces that really speak to my audience and ignites their thought process to see the world in another perspective. I think being able to use art as a forefront in the social justice movement is one such way I could achieve that. One problem that I was having is really getting started in adding my thoughts and my stories of the struggles and hardships I have endured into my artwork and asked Mr. Kaphar what he suggests in getting started. His answer was to just get started. He stated that you just had to get out there and start drawing and keep at it. Some of the first work in the art should be crap and not that great. And he said that was okay. In fact, if it wasn't crap, something is wrong. He said to take risks and really get out there and try something new. Because we as students aren't really at a scale where it matters much for the audience we are looking at, our artwork right now doesn't really matter that much so it is fundamental to really start trying and making pieces. Each piece builds on another and makes way to get the artwork that really does impact society and make others open their mouths with awe. Another thing he suggested was to have a close group of really good friend who will critique your work. Artists don't really need people who say "Wow that's amazing". They need people who give monumental feedback on how to improve and get better for real progress. Trust their opinions and use those opinions to move ahead. He also mentioned putting our paintings on Instagram so people can give a thumbs up and nod in admiration is pointless other than maybe an ego boost. The real growth is achieved in the development of the ideas and flaws in the painting that could make it grow. Finally, another point he addressed to the artists was sticking to a strict regiment in creation. He works 9-5pm on weekdays as a regular job and just keeps creating. He also said to not wait for inspiration to strike you but to just start and keep doing and to build a neural pathway in your brain to work.

Titus Kaphar sure gave the 13 people in the breakfast Q and A session some monumental suggestions and inspiration to keep working and striving both in our artwork and in revolutionizing the world that deeply impacted me. I hope to take these suggestions and use them to really make a difference both in my personal creative work and in the area of social justice.