The Breakdown Of A Bruno Mars Concert

The Breakdown Of A Bruno Mars Concert

No more wondering what it would be like to see Bruno Mars live.

710
The Breakdown Of A Bruno Mars Concert
Unsplash

The night I moved into college, my mom and I booked it to Chicago to see Bruno Mars and the 24K Magic tour. It was a beyond hectic day but it was all worth it once we were in our seats, relaxed, and ready for the concert to start. I have always been a fan of Bruno Mars and once I heard that he was coming to Chicago, I knew I was going to find a way to be there. I was nervous because earlier in the week I heard on the radio that people were underwhelmed by his concert, saying that he didn’t dedicate his time to any of his old music. Well in my opinion, they were very wrong. It was one of the best concerts I’ve been to.

Here is his setlist.

1. Finesse
  2. 24K Magic
  3. Treasure
  4. Perm
  5. Calling All My Lovelies
  6. Chunky
  7. That’s What I like
  8. Straight Up & Down
  9. Versace on the Floor
  10. Marry You
  11. Runaway Baby
  12. When I Was Your Man
  13. Grenade
  14. Just the Way You Are

Encore

1. Locked Out of Heaven
  2. Uptown Funk

He had a band and then a group of background singers and dancers that were with him the whole time. They put on a great performance and were really engaging with the audience. In the past, some big concerts I have been to seem like the performer is too focused on the production of everything, but this concert didn’t have that problem. It didn’t feel like they were relying on special effects to keep the audience entertained during any part of the concert. The biggest non-musical effect that Bruno Mars had in his show were the lights. He had a different lighting sequence that went along with each song, which is pretty common for big arena concerts.It was such a good show and Bruno Mars’ voice lives up to the reputation he has earned. There is no auto-tune to what you hear on the radio. He’s just that good.

My top 4 (because I couldn't narrow it down to just three) favorite songs of the concert probably were When I Was Your Man, Chunky, Uptown Funk, and Perm.

When I was Your Man has a special place in my heart. When it first came out, I was obsessed with it. I learned every lyric and sang it at the top of my lungs when it came on the radio. I had my hopes up that he would sing it but I wasn’t sure if my dream would actually come true. Bruno Mars not only did a better performance of the song than what was on the radio, but it was his only acoustic song during the concert.

One of my other favorites was Chunky. I wasn’t super familiar with this song when we went to the concert and I think that’s why I liked it so much. His performance of it definitely proved to me that I wasn’t giving it much of a chance.

Uptown Funk. I mean come on that has to be on the top of the list. That is such a fun song and seeing it live just amplified it times ten.

Last but not least was Perm. Perm is one of my favorite songs off of Bruno Mars’ latest albums. It is so fun and upbeat and I could not wait for him to perform it. He seemed so genuinely happy to be onstage performing this song and it was clear that he loves what he does.

Bruno Mars is an amazing performer, and I would go back to see him again in a heart beat. Going to his concert was such a great way to finish out my summer and move onto a new chapter in my life. If you ever have the chance to see him live, go! You won’t regret it.