A Break-Up Letter To Summer

A Break-Up Letter To Summer

I think that it's time we go our separate ways.

9
A Break-Up Letter To Summer
Sarah Fling

Dear summer,

A few months ago, you were all I dreamed about. It's not easy to find relaxation in the hustle and bustle that comes with being a full-time student. There is always another project to be done or paper to write. Thankfully, spring break seemed like a little glimpse of heaven, as the endless cycle of classes and homework droned on and on. With finals looming near, college students like myself craved time to hang out with friends, vacation, and bask in the sun day in and day out. Summer seemed like paradise... until the semester ended and we actually got home.

Now that we've reached the golden horizon that is summer, I think that my fellow college students and I can agree— we're disappointed. I'd been looking forward to the beach trips, pool parties, and free time that you promised to provide. Instead, you've turned out to be full of hard work and crappy weather. In a desperate attempt to pay off college loans, my friends and I are working upwards of 40 hours a week and completely missing opportunities for any type of fun. Most attempts to make plans end abruptly with, "I can't, I'm working." Vacations and day trips are out, too, because that requires money— something no college student has. On top of that, the weather has been completely undesirable, with temperatures under 75 degrees and frequent rainstorms. How am I supposed to lounge by the pool? Such a shame. These past few weeks have certainly not lived up to my expectations. Most importantly, summer, I miss home— and I don't mean the small town that I returned to after finals. I mean the home that I've made at school. I love my family and high school friends deeply, but nothing can compare to college, a place where I'm surrounded by fun, friends and food 24/7. Now, my friends are spread across the state, country, and even the world! This adjustment hasn't been easy. To be honest, summer, you've left me a bit... homesick.

It may be a little premature, but I'm actually ready to say goodbye to you, summer. I know that we're only halfway through, but all you've given me is work, a few days in the sun, and an empty hole in my chest that only college can fill. It really seemed like we had a bright future together, but I guess it just didn't work out. I sincerely hope that we can try again next year, but for now, I can't wait to be reunited with my friends at school and the fun times that I know are ahead. You know, I think fall might just be my perfect match.

Love,

A Disappointed College Student