Everything You Want To Know About The Brazilian Blowout

I've had curly-q ringlets since the day I started growing hair, and I'm still learning how to manage them.

42

I came across the Brazilian Blowout after receiving a terrible haircut. It was the day before my sophomore year of high school and I was hoping to reduce my lion's mane. I courageously allowed my mother's hairstylist to perform a thinning procedure on my hair with a pair of "special" scissors. I should have known it wasn't going to end well but I was sick of having to wear my hair in a bun every single day. Don't get me wrong, I adore my curls and I am grateful for my thick hair. But long, frizzy curls and the Arizona heat are not a very pleasant combination.

So I went through with the haircut and sure enough, all hell broke loose, and so did my split ends. It looked fine when I left the salon, as my hair was still wet. But once it dried, the majority of my hair clumped up to the top of my head and the very bottom hung desperately like thin little strings. There was noticeably more hair on top than on the bottom, and the cuts brought out hundreds of split ends. It was a frizz filled nightmare, to say the least. My mother felt terrible after realizing how distressed I had become. She called a couple of local salons asking if there was anything we could do to at least smooth it all together. That night I got my first ever Brazilian Blowout treatment, and I haven't stopped since.

Instagram A before and after photo from the @brazilianblowout Instagram

The process can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how much/ what kind of hair you have. My first treatment took about 2 hours. It begins with a deep cleansing wash that strips your hair of any product or chemicals. This usually leaves it feeling quite coarse. Then, your hairstylist will pour the treatment solution into a bowl and begin applying it to the wet hair in sections. You'll immediately notice the magical smoothing powers beginning to take charge. Next, you'll get a blowout with a round brush and a hairdryer. The pulling and smoothing in this step begins the straightening process. Once the hair is dry, your stylist with go over everything once more with a straightener. And that's it!

Depending on your hair type and texture, you can decide how often you need the treatment. My hair was insanely kinky and thick, to begin with, so I tend to get the Brazilian 2-3 times a year. You'll know when you need another one once new hairs begin to grow in. The cost ranges anywhere from $100.00- $400.00, based on the salon you attend. After receiving the treatment, it is recommended to wait at least 2-3 days before washing your hair. This will ensure that the solution binds to every hair follicle for the best results. After washing, your hair will be noticeably softer, smoother, and much easier to manage. You can still dye your hair too! It used to take me 2+ hours to straighten my hair.

Now, it takes less than an hour. I have little to no frizz, a delicate shine, and relaxed waves. I would recommend the Brazilian Blowout to anyone who wishes they could better manage their unpredictable mane. It won't make your hair permanently straight but it will bring out your natural texture without the frizz and fluff, leaving it much easier to straighten and style.