"I Am Brave, I Am Bruised, I Am Who I'm Meant To Be. This Is Me!"

Life lessons we can learn from "The Greatest Showman" number "This is me".

4462
instagram.com/thegreatestshowman

You've heard of the movie "The Greatest Showman", right? If not well then at least check out this trailer to get an idea of what I'm talking about right now. Or just skip forward with this article.

One of the numbers in the movie sung by Keala Settle who plays the Bearded Lady is called "This is Me". This song occurs after yet again being told that she wasn't good enough to hang with the rich crowd. Keeping you in context with this movie, at the time this movie was set there were major prejudices between the wealthy and poor, and races. The song "This is me" focuses on embracing who you are no matter what the world thinks of you. Whatever race you are, whatever economic status you are, you are made to be different and you were made to be glorious.

Verse 1 through the first chorus shows us the emotions that are behind the character.

"I'm not a stranger to the dark. Hide away, they say, 'cause we don't want your broken parts. I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars. Run away, they say, No one will love you as you are."

How many of us can relate to her emotions here on some level? Whether that be we don't think we are smart enough, skinny enough, tough enough, wealthy enough. All these "enough" and we have these scars deep within us that we hide from the world. When she talks about being told to run away, that doesn't have to mean that people are telling her to run away, maybe it's the voice within her telling her to hide away. To some degree, that is a daily struggle for most.

The song continues with the build into the chorus,

"But I won't let them break me down to dust. I know that there's a place for us. For we are glorious!"

And then to the absolutely impactful chorus,

"When the sharpest words wanna cut me down. I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out. I am brave, I am bruised. I am who I'm meant to be, this is me. Look out 'cause here I come. And I'm marching on the beat I drum. I'm not scared to be seen I make no apologies. This is me!"

They are making the observation that yes they are bruised, but they are also brave. They don't hide the fact from themselves that they are created to be different. These people are understanding that they have their own voice. And through the help of each other, they are encouraged and strengthened.

Verse 2 continues to build the song and you see they continue to be empowered and they know that their voice is making an impact for themselves.

"Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away 'cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through the barricades, and reaching for the sun (We are warriors!) Yeah, that's what we've become!"

HECK YES! There is so much power behind these words! You don't even need to know the tune to this song to feel the emotion and feel the impact! Fire away 'cause I won't let the shame sink in. When was the last time you remember hearing someone put you down?

Maybe you read an article titled, "The worst things you could possibly do for your child" And you realize that you do at least 5 of those "worst things"? Anything that felt like another bullet to what you do. Now when is the last time you said, "BRING IT!"? And not the sarcastic bring it, but you actually meant it because you felt stronger than you were before you read that article or heard that criticism. Break through those barricades baby! Because you deserve the sun and you are a warrior!

There is much more to the song and I hope you feel encouraged to actually listen to it after reading this review. And my challenge to you today is to make it known to the world and more importantly to yourself that you are a warrior! And you were created to be different and that's something to be proud of. Don't ever apologize for being who you are. Whether you're the super smart kid, or the teacher's pest embrace who you are and go get em! Be blessed my friends!