Bracket Blues

Bracket Blues

why these brackets are doing more harm than good

44
Bracket Blues
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/27/6365776220000649631750790806_disney.jpg

If you have been active in the twitterverse or spent your weekend tapping through instagram stories, you are familiar with the Disney movie March Madness brackets that are floating around. I, a child who grew up in Florida only a few hours from the happiest place on Earth, am a huge fan of Disney, but was hesitant to participate in this bracket-filling. Here’s why:

1. The bracket is missing KEY Disney films: Classic disney films like Bambi, Peter Pan, and Dumbo are missing. It seems unfair to leave out such impressionable movies that, I believe personally, would make it pretty far in the bracket. After mentioning this to a few friends, they understood my point and cited other classics like Pinocchio and Lady and the Tramp that also cannot be ignored. Leaving these movies out was a bad decision on the creator’s end. This bracket is not valid without them.
  2. The bracket includes forgettable, obscure movies: This fact goes to make the reader even more aware of the missing classics. The classics are being replaced by films like The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Good Dinosaur, and The Princess and the Frog which, though they have merit, are incomparable to Disney staples like The Lion King and Finding Nemo. These films do not stand a chance against the iconic disney films that all know and love. Why are they included?
  3. The comparison of Pixar and Disney is arbitrary: Comparing Pixar and Disney is like comparing apples to oranges. These two sectors of the Disney company each create very distinct story lines with unique animation. Monster’s Inc and Tarzan are hardly comparable in this setting and should have completely separate brackets altogether.
  4. A few of the first comparisons knock out the movies that should make it to the end for me: Comparing Tarzan and The Lion King, two of my all time favorites, in the first round is heartbreaking. Knocking one out so soon is a tough blow and they both deserve to be in my top six. The comparison of Aladdin and Hercules also is very challenging for me. Brackets don’t work for choosing favorites, because your secondary favorites get knocked out early.
  5. Overall, I don’t believe that anyone has a favorite disney movie: I mean c’mon, I cannot choose one! Who truly can? I think as children we are influenced by many many things. I think having a favorite song, movie, or even food is just insane and unheard of. Disney movies are special in that they are each unique and touch a different part of your soul. It’s a sin to pick just one!