Disney Has Released The New 'Mulan' Movie, And This Is Why You Should Agree To #BoycottMulan

This movie should not be celebrated, it should be criticized to the fullest

28

September 4th was the release date of the live action version of "Mulan"! This was one of the movies that many people were excited for. The original release date was late March, but due to COVID-19, the movie was delayed until the 4th of September.

Once the movie released on Disney Plus (for premium members), people had extremely mixed responses to this movie. One of the responses that outraged many was how some of the filming took place in Xinjiang. For proof of this being filmed here, at the end of the credits Disney thanked Xinjiang for using their place for filming. This is so controversial because Xinjiang is a place where at least 1 million innocent Muslims (mostly Uighurs) were detained and sent to concentration camps.

This is an ongoing issue that needs to stop in China. These are innocent people who believe in a different religion getting persecuted for worshipping someone else. As a way to make known of what's going on in Xinjiang, a movement on social media called #BoycottMulan began. #BoycottMulan will help shed light on people who do not have any idea of innocent Muslims being sent to internment camps. Go ahead and look through the hashtag yourself, and you'll learn a lot.

Though this is a step in the right direction for Asian representation in the movie industry, this took the wrong direction in terms of real world issues going on. This issue has been going on since 2017, and it's just now getting more attention. That's three years that it's gone almost unnoticed. This has to end.

Stand for the innocent people being prosecute. Remember to #BoycottMulan