boy erased movie

'Boy Erased' Is A Revelation

A brief look at one of the most emotionally charged films of the year, and why everyone would benefit from seeing it.

57
https://www.facebook.com/BoyErased/photos/rpp.1395885827160807/2006110842804966/?type=3&theater
Facebook

I've seen a lot of movies. Among them have been some severe features on some complicated subjects. None have hit me as hard, or have left me as breathless, as Joel Edgerton's new adaptation of Garrard Conley's compelling memoir, Boy Erased.

The movie (and book) follows a young boy as he comes to terms with his sexuality in his immensely religious-driven household (his father is an even the preacher for the local town church). After an abrupt but intense coming out scene, his family chooses to enroll him in conversion therapy to "fix" his sexuality. There, Jared endures psychological tactics designed blame his sexuality on others, and entice him into believing that who he is was never God's will.

And it's not just the plot that contributes to the intensity of this movie. The stunning use of music, including Troye Sivan's gorgeous new song "Revelation," gave the entire film a mood of intense emotional reflection. The cinematography also added a layer of meaning to the story in various places. Most notably I was struck by the continued use of blurring effects to indicate Jared's reflective mood; often the rest of the scene would be blurred, but Jared himself was always crystal clear. This, among other artistic features, emphasized how Jared's (and in some cases, our's) world didn't make sense around him or didn't even seem real. And with the devastating subject of this movie, you almost wished it wasn't.

But the movie, it's events, it's character's, it's theme, is sadly the truth of over 700,000 LGBTQ+ Americans. And while the film does an exceptional job at equally portraying those who believe in the camp's ideals and those that don't, there is no question as to the horrific practices that sometimes take place in these specific religious institutions.

The film is about more than just gay conversion therapy. It's ultimately about coming to terms with who you are, not who anyone wants you to be. It's a message about acceptance for both kids and parents alike. Yes, it sounds cliche, but when faced with the tough choices and devastating realities of what Jared goes through, there is no doubt as to the authenticity of this message.

One of my main points of contention with this movie (and others like it) is that even though it is so well-made, so emotionally intoxicating, and so influential, those who need to see it will never actually go. I'm an LGBTQ+ American myself, and while I did artistically enjoy watching and crying along with Jared's journey, the movie only illuminated facts of life that I already knew existed. It was the same with my friend's and my sister who attended the film with me. Those that need to experience the emotional journey of Boy Erased are those that would never come to the theater or pay to lay witness to such an ugly truth.

So if you are a teenager, please see this movie. If you are an adult, PLEASE see this movie (it's quite frankly made more for parents than for their children). And as you do, make sure to spread the word, to spread the message, and encourage others to see it. Or even get them interested enough to read what it's about.

In the meantime, pick up a copy of Garrard Conley's original memoir, or listen to Troye's song on Spotify. If you are drawn to these types of movies, here's a list of the most monumental LGBTQ+ movies throughout history, or even just in the 21st century And if you want to learn more about gay conversion therapy, or find some ways to help, please don't hesitate to reach out, be informed and make a difference.