I brought my first tarot deck and here's what happened

I Bought My First Tarot Deck and Here's What Happened

The taboos of purchasing my first deck and how it unraveled

551
Personal photo

When I was in high school I got really into witchcraft. Like, REALLY into witchcraft. I hoarded candles worse then a dragon hoards gold. I stirred my tea with intent- counter clockwise for banishing and clockwise for attracting. I studied the stars as hard as I studied for school. I experimented with meditation, crystals, herbs, Ouija boards- you name it, I probably looked into it at least a little bit. Everything I did and said contributed to a higher purpose of intent.

Yet, through it all, I wanted to experiment with Tarot most of all. I've always been drawn to divination, or more commonly known as fortune telling, of all types. I've explored astrology and even peeped into palmistry. Hell, I learned how to read fortunes with playing cards. I learned to read playing cards because I desperately wanted to learn tarot but initially didn't have access to a deck. So I first learned the tarot spreads through the playing cards.

The only reason I didn't get a tarot deck right away, besides the fact I was a broke ass and shit can be expensive, is because my mom wasn't a fan of the idea initially. She thought the stuff might have some satanic notions. Which, by the way, it doesn't. You can even use tarot secularly. As you can imagine I was a pretty rebellious and edgy teen. Fuck, I'm still edgy. I'm an edge lord.

Being the rebellious edge lord that I am, in secret with a dear friend of mine, we each brought our first tarot deck at a mall bookstore.

Now mind you, for those unaware of the ways of witches, you're not supposed to buy your first tarot deck. It's a taboo within the community, and one I was unaware of initially. Your first tarot deck is supposed to be a gift.

Boy, let me tell you. My first tarot deck was something else. We didn't get along very well. Now this might seem silly to those unpracticed in the art of tarot but each deck has a very distinct unique personality The first deck I brought was titled Revelations, nothing against that particular deck but damn, it was so cold to me. It did the readings and it accomplished them accurately, which is all you can really ask but there was no warmth.

I never really felt like the deck belonged to me or was happy in my possession. Like it was ever really mine. There wasn't a click and that click is crucial when you're practicing magick. Then I learned about the taboo and it made sense. That deck wasn't mine, I was merely a placeholder for it. My first deck ended up being a flop. It could be because of fate, that I had brought it, or simply coincidental. Who really knows.

Since I had already soiled the concept about receiving my deck as a gift, I settled on the next best thing. The gift of giving my deck to someone else. Giving is a gift all in its own, right?

Luckily I had another friend who was interested in the metaphysics and knew a little about tarot. She didn't have her own deck but wanted one, so I gifted her my old one. They had an immediate click and she loved it. She adored the energy it gave off and it made sense to her on a spiritual level. I'm glad I gave it to her.

In between buying and giving my first deck away, I bought 2 other ones. The Wild Unknown Tarot and my personal favorite, The Dragon Tarot. Both have beautiful card art and resonate with me. The one I use the most is the dragon one, I use it for all kinds of readings for myself and others as it always does the readings both warmly and with justice.

So, in conclusion, My first tarot deck didn't really work out but that's okay. It worked out for someone else who needed it and I still found my long desired tarot deck with a satisfactory click. So there were happy endings all around and that's all I can really ask for.