7 Fast-Paced Books To End Your Reading Slump

Here are some books you won't be able to put down.

170
Photo by Anna Lisa on Unsplash

We've all been through a reading slump, which can be a result of many different things. Maybe you hated the last book you read or you simply had too many assignments and not enough free time. I was in the same boat not too long ago but with some research and effort, I managed to crawl my way out of the slump. My first suggestion for getting out of a reading slump is to find a fast-paced book on the shorter side to quickly remind you of the wonderful feeling of being entranced in a fictional world. With that, here are some book suggestions if you want to get back into reading but don't know where to start.

"The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde

This book is perfect for my fellow readers who love the classics, but aren't necessarily ready to fully commit to some of the slow-pace or long page counts. This book has under 400 pages and has all the hallmarks of a true classic. This book is mystery crossed with dark academia and I absolutely love it.

"Verity" by Colleen Hoover

I haven't read this yet, but it is definitely on my TBR list. As a thriller, this book is supposed to have a lot of dramatic plot twists and overall tension. If you like mysteriously eerie stories then this is probably a great book for you. Coming in at just over 300 pages, this story seems digestible and dramatic enough to keep you entertained throughout your read.

"The Storied Life of A.J. Filkry" by Gabrielle Zevin

With just under 300 pages, this book is totally digestible even if you feel a little out of practice. I think this book is great to get you out of a reading slump because a book about books is sometimes all you need to romanticize and remind yourself of the sheer enjoyment that accompanies a trip to the bookstore or opening a brand new book.

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky

If you haven't read this book, I'm begging you to read it as soon as possible. This book is really is a coming of age story with a whole level of emotional complexity I really haven't come across in a high school story that often. With just over 200 pages, you'll become so invested in the characters that you won't want to put it down.

"Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn

I haven't gotten around to reading this yet, but I've only heard great things about the fast-paced nature of this thriller. The character writing is apparently wonderful and the writing itself keeps the reader engaged for the whole 250 or so pages.

"Looking for Alaska" by John Green

I honestly feel like John Green books are great at any age and can really help you through a reading slump when you're older. There's something about reading them again (or for the first time) when you're older that's really comforting and give you the confidence to get out of your slump. This book is one of my favorites by him and its just over 200 pages.

"Calypso" by David Sedaris

I just picked this book up from the store and I'm so excited to start it. I've been told that this is a great fast paced read for my fellow readers who love memoirs and laughing at the same time. This collection of essays is just under 300 pages and should be perfect to push anyone our of a reading slump.