Books To Read At The Beach Based On Your Taste In TV

Because Netflix Can't Swim

10
Lukas-CoverPhoto

With summer's heat hitting new heights this week, East Coasters are finally flocking to the beach. But what about all the TV you'll miss while laying out in the sand!? Never fear, millennials. Beach week is the perfect time to catch up on all that summer reading you said you'd do back in early June. Here's a comprehensive guide of what book you should binge-read while simultaneously working on your tan and flaunting your summer bod (who said our generation can't multitask!?).

COMEDY

You know her name. You know her work. But you may not know much of her backstory. Tina Fey's best-selling memoir "Bossypants" is sure to keep you smiling and inspired this summer. Her knack for honing in on obscure character traits and settings will transport you to TinaWorld and make you feel as though you are standing amongst the people within. If you are looking for a light-hearted and giggly getaway this summer, Fey will happily be your partner in crime.

DRAMEDY (Dramatic Comedy)

"The Husband's Secret" is a classic tale of suburban demise. Cecilia, a complacent housewife, discovers a letter written by her husband to be read in the event of his death. Although he is still alive, Cecilia's curiosity gets the best of her, and she reads her husband's account of his most vile secrets. What's interesting about this engrossing novel is that the secrets and scandals are revealed relatively early on in the story, and what ensues is cynical acts of revenge, retribution, and righteousness.

DRAMA

"The Slap" is told from the perspective of eight different sorta-connected-sorta-not members of a family-centric community in Melbourne, Australia. After a father slaps another couple's child at a backyard barbecue, lines are drawn in the sand and the inner-workings of this community starts to slowly unravel. The most compelling aspect of this novel is Tsiolkas's strikingly raw telling of human nature and the way people really feel about each other.

THRILLER

In "The Kind Worth Killing," we are immediately introduced to Lily and Ted - two strangers who meet each other on a flight home to Boston. They begin a game of total honesty, agree to tell each other their darkest secrets and dreams relying on the fact that they do not know each other and will never see each other again... or so they think. Before we know it, the duo agrees to collaborate on the murder of Ted's cheating wife. Your heart won't stop racing as the murder plot unfolds and Lily recounts her femme fatale backstory.

DISASTER / MYSTERY

"The Casualties" is a novel unlike any else. Days before the apocalypse, we are given access to Samuel Clark's collection of research on the eclectic people in his Scotland neighborhood. He recounts the lives of school teachers, homeless men, and mentally ill civilians. The twist? Not everyone is going to die when catastrophe strikes. Who is worthy of surviving? There's only one way to find out.

FANTASY

"Red Queen" is a magical young-adult epic that tells the tale of a royal nation divided: Reds are the lower-class poor, Silvers are the royal elite with birth-given powers. When Mare, a young Red, discovers she has powers, a royal coverup is put into place to ensure the classes remain divided. Will Mare be able to act the part while remaining loyal to her Red blood allegiance?

LOVE & LIFE

"Confessions of a Shopaholic" is the perfect choice for a breezy summer read. Even if you've already read it, the good news is there are seven sequels, so the adventure is virtually endless. Becky Bloomwood is a zany, energetic London-based financial journalist. The catch? She NEVER takes her own advice. Hilarity ensues as Becky finds herself trying to justify and cover up her crippling debt to everyone in her life. Surely one of the most entertaining fictional characters of the past decade, you'll find yourself relentlessly rooting for this self-destructive, fashionable heroine.

LGBT / COMING-OF-AGE

"The Rules of Attraction" is equal parts sex, drugs, love, and heartbreak. You will surely find yourself relating to at least one or more of these troubled college students as they navigate their way through parties, holidays, and hookups. Beware: this novel is unapologetic, graphic, and addictive.

MURDER MYSTERY

Flynn is best known for her smash hit "Gone Girl," but her debut novel is a white-knuckle tale of a young journalist who returns to her conservative hometown to investigate a new development in local murders. What starts as a textbook investigation quickly takes a dark turn. Accustom to its television counterparts, the last 5 pages of this novel will change the entire story as you knew it and leave you shell-shocked for the rest of the summer.