From Bookworm To Audiobook Addicted: My Reading Journey

I had given up on finding the time for one of my favorite hobbies, until I started listening to audiobooks.

39
W J Niederkorn Library

I have always loved to read. I remember staying up at night with my bedside lamp on, reading into the early morning hours, or at least until my parents came in and knocked on my door and told me to go to bed.

I always found myself wrapped up in different series, eagerly picking up the next book in the saga as I finished the previous publication. My favorite book series was “The Series of Unfortunate Events,” by Lemony Snickett. As I got older, I started reading and enjoying the “Hunger Games” book series and I finished all three within one spring break.

I continued to read regularly throughout high school, and then, I went to college. As I started making my way through college, doing homework, studying for exams and spending time with friends, I realized that I was reading less and less. I always had a small collection of books I said I was going to read, but it never happened.

I made attempts at reading a few enjoyable books, but I was always distracted by other things tI should have been doing. I wanted to find a way to pick up my old favorite hobby, but it was not working out. Then, I discovered audiobooks.

The first audiobook I listened to was of a required book for one of my classes. It was an easy way to pick up the different information from the book, and I was able to take care of other things while listening to the book, like cook breakfast or walk to my classes.

The first audiobook I listened to that was just for fun was of Neil Gaiman’s novel “American Gods.” Listening to a book being read is a completely different experience than reading the book. When listening to the “American Gods,” audiobook, it was easier to put myself in the mindset of the characters, and join them on their cross-country road trip.

The second book I listened to, was “Just One Damned Thing After Another,” by Jodi Taylor. This book follows Madeline Maxwell, as she makes her way at St. Mary’s a historical research institute that has their crew take a hands on approach when examining historical events. This book is the beginning of a 13 part series, with another book being released in 2017. Listening to the narrator describe the different places in time, whether it was in Victorian era London with Jack the Ripper or the Cretaceous period alongside the dinosaurs, was possibly more beneficial than just reading it on a page. I am currently on the second book of the series, and it just as enjoyable as listening to the first book.

At first, I was a bit apprehensive about starting audiobooks. I thought that it would remove something from my book enjoying experience. After debating the issue with myself for a couple of days, I decided to look into Audible. With my Amazon Prime account, I was able to get the first few books for free, so I had nothing to lose. Instead of negatively impacting my book reading experience, listening to audiobooks only enhanced my appreciation of books and their way of transporting readers into different places.

I have not completely given up on book reading, and I will continue to look for interesting page turners. Audiobooks have been nice alternatives to reading, and have kept me interested in a hobby that I was starting to abandon.

For readers without the time that is needed to pick up and read a book, listening to an audiobook may save some time, and help them find another way to enjoy the books they want to read.