13 Books That Will Bring You Major Feels

Bookworms will remember all of these from their childhoods. Warning: Major nostalgia ahead!

90
Flickr

If you're anything like me and have been an avid reader all your life, there are many different books that were major parts of your youth. Whether they're picture books, fantasy series, or major franchises, there are some books that almost everyone can recall reading during their childhood.

1. "A Series of Unfortunate Events" by Lemony Snicket

While some people have read this amazing series, others have not had the chance. They either didn't have the experience of reading them in grade school or relied on Neil Patrick Harris's genius portrayal of Count Olaf in the Netflix Original adaptation to tell the story for them. Either way, you'll be rooting for the Baudelaire children the entire time. (Side Note: I finished Season 2 of the show in two days #NoShame.)

2. "The Spiderwick Chronicles" by Toni DiTerlizzi and Holly Black

This series is a lesser known one of this list, however, it played a major role in my love for the fantasy/fiction genre and mystery stories growing up. Twins Jared and Simon and their older sister Mallory are indulged into a world of fairies and magic, as they search to uncover the secrets of this other world. The books were ones I couldn't put down and read multiple times.

3. "The 39 Clues" by Various Authors

The 39 Clues books are a wild ride set around two siblings, Amy and Dan Cahill, who discover that their family has been the most influential one in history. While there are five different series, the first addresses Dan and Amy's quest to find the 39 Clues, which are ingredients to a serum that can create the most powerful person on Earth.

Throughout this series, there are also clues and codes within the pages that the readers can use to figure out the clues themselves. As a child, I had a notebook full of codes and clues from the multiple book series. It was like the TV Show "Lost" but in book form and for kids.

4. "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis

I would be genuinely surprised if there was someone who hasn't at least heard of the Chronicles of Narnia. Whether you're an OG fan and read the book series, or simply watched the movies, we can all agree on how #iconic the series is.

5. "Little House Series" by Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Little House series was one of the very first I ever read. It started out as a bedtime story when I was younger that my dad would read to be every night, but quickly evolved into me reading them on my own. I would daydream about living life as Mary and her family did on the prairie in the late 19th century. Wilder does a truly amazing job of describing the Midwest during this time and uses her personal experiences growing up.

6. "The Harry Potter Series" by J.K. Rowling

While this franchise doesn't need much introduction, it's still a major part of my childhood as well as many others' upbringings. Harry Potter books were there for me when I didn't want to face the struggles of the real world. I could indulge in the world of witchcraft and wizardry and pretend I was joining Golden Trio on a journey to defeat Voldemort. The Potter series will always rank #1 in my heart.

7. "The Magic Treehouse Books" by Mary Pope Osborne

The Magic Treehouse books seemed to be the most popular short read in grade school. They were the first to leave the shelves at the Scholastic Book Fair and everyone wanted to do their book reports on them. The main characters, Jack and Annie, find themselves being transported from their treehouse to different times and places in history. Through these stories, I was exposed to history in a more fun and understandable way!

8. "Mr. Men, Little Miss" Books

From Little Miss Sunshine and Miss Calamity to Mr. Bump and Mr. Happy, these brightly-colored, personality-driven characters were hard to miss. During "Library Class" (which wasn't even a class, but a time to sit and read for 40 minutes), you could find most kids reading these short, yet fun stories.

9. "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" by Rick Riordan

The Percy Jackson series is definitely in my top five favorite books of all time. These books took up a large chunk of my childhood, along with Harry Potter. I went through a Greek mythology phase where I spent a majority of my time researching and learning about the gods and goddesses that went along with the Percy Jackson books. While the movie adaptation was horrendous and deserved better, the books were absolutely amazing.

10. "The Hunger Games Trilogy" by Suzanne Collins

This book trilogy took the world by storm as trends of side braids and Mockingjay pins were seen around every corner. Katniss Everdeen inspired many with her willingness to volunteer in her sisters place in a fight to the death competition. Jennifer Lawrence portrayed Katniss's essence perfectly and gave teenage girls the confidence to stand up for what they believe in. Also, the debate between #TeamPeeta and #TeamGale will forever be at a stalemate.

11. "A Wrinkle in Time Quintet" by Madeleine L'Engle

If you haven't had the chance to read the A Wrinkle in Time books by now, the movie is out in theaters. While I haven't had the chance to see it yet, I've heard that it's a great adaptation of the books. We'll see about that... The books were another series of fantasy and other worlds that roped me in as a child and I couldn't put them down. Many book reports throughout grade school included these stories as well.

12. "Goosebumps" by R.L. Stine

Ah, the joys (and horrors) of the Goosebumps books. I was one of the kids who had to put off reading these books until I was in middle school because they gave me nightmares. However, I fell in love with the page-turning stories that kept me interested until the mystery was solved. It definitely kick-started my love for horror movies and video games into young adulthood. Here's to you, creepy and monster-loving, R.L. Stine!

13. "Nancy Drew Mystery Stories" by Edward Stratemeyer and Carolyn Keene

The mysteries behind the many Nancy Drew books are even rooted within the author, Carolyn Keene. Keene is a pseudonym used by many authors hired to write different books, so the actual authors of the books are unknown. However, these books were also loved by many, especially younger girls when I was growing up. We would talk constantly about which books we were reading and what clues we've found on our own to solve the mystery. We would also play "Nancy Drew" during recess.

Whether you were a fan of the lengthy series such as "Harry Potter" and the "Chronicles of Narnia" or the short picture books of "Mr. Men and Little Miss" series, reading is a significant part of everyone's' childhood. Many of these stories bring back major memories and will make you want to re-read them all over again. Here's to many more memories with many more books in the future!!