15 Books To Read If You're Trying To Get Into Reading

Sometimes, learning to love to read is just a matter of finding the right book.
236

As someone who has always loved to read, I can't really understand why people wouldn't love it. However, I can agree with the fact that some books are better than others and that some books are much harder to read than others. If you're looking to get into reading, but don't really know where to start, then this is the place for you. Here are 15 books to help you get into reading.

1. 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton

I went into The Outsiders not really expecting to like it. I had heard several other people say that they didn't and so my hopes were low. I came out a little less than 200 pages later with a new book on my "favorites" list. Nothing will warm your heart faster than Ponyboy, Soda, and Dally Curtis and their friends. The depth of friendship that the greaser boys share is one that makes you realize just how important family is, whether it be family by blood or by choice. I honestly think that everyone needs to read this book.

2. The 'Harry Potter' series by J.K. Rowling

I could write about Harry Potter for days and not say enough. I have come back to this series over and over in my relatively short life and it has managed to speak to my situation every time. I kid you not when I say that I have read this series more than 15 times and still manage to find something different every time. If you're one of the few weird people still living in the world who hasn't read this series, do yourself a favor and get started!

3. 'The Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby, unlike the rest of the population since the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio came out. However, this slim little classic is packed with imagery and symbolism and is also a quick, easy read. Bonus if you're into tragically romantic stories.

4. The 'Red Queen' series by Victoria Aveyard

The Red Queen series is something of a guilty pleasure for me considering the fact that it really is nothing more than a stereotypical YA series. There's a girl with a spunky attitude and a weird name, an oppressive government, she's from the lower class but then gets thrust into that government, then she gets stuck into the rebellion against that government, and all the while there are several beautiful boys vying for her heart. But still, a really good series that will get you into reading.

5. 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak

This is a beautiful story that continually broke my heart. Zusak's language is nothing short of poetic, yet the story is easy to read and follow. His narrator can make you feel things like few others are able to. Liesel's story is one that will keep you thinking for years after you close the book if only because of how tragic and stunning it is.

6. 'Murder on the Orient Express' by Agatha Christie

I actually didn't decide to read this until the recent movie came out, but I'm really glad I picked it up. If you're looking for a good murder mystery, this is the book for you. Everything you could possibly ask for in a whodunnit novel is here. Christie isn't called "the queen of mystery" for nothing. I didn't figure out who the guilty party was until much later in the novel than I had planned, which is kind of sad, but also the sign that it's a good book. I didn't see the movie that came out recently, but I've heard good things from fellow book lovers, so you should also definitely check that out (after you read it, of course).

7. The 'Percy Jackson' series by Rick Riordan

What can I say? This was a middle school favorite. I couldn't help but love Percy, Annabeth, and Grover through all of their misadventures and dealings with the temperamental Greek gods. The story makes for a fun, interesting read. Plus, it's written for kids, so it's really easy to read. And, added bonus, you can appreciate just how garbage the movies actually were.

8. 'The Secret Garden' by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I actually don't know why I kept coming back to The Secret Garden when I was making this list other than the fact that it was my first classic novel — the one that started it all. While I wouldn't consider it the easiest book to read just because it is a classic, it's definitely a good one to start off with if you want to get into more classic lit.

9. 'The Selection' trilogy by Kiera Cass

Despite being a stereotypical YA series, The Selection series is one that I've read three or four times. The characters are just too good to leave behind. Plus, it's just really fun. I mean, a bachelor-type story about a princess? Yes, please! Who wouldn't want to read that?

10. 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett

I absolutely love The Help. It's an easy read in terms of how it's written, and not only is the story an eye-opener, but the characters who tell it are all hilarious and complex and loveable. I felt the emotions of those characters more than I do with a lot of others. Not to mention the fact that the movie with Octavia Spencer and Emma Stone is also really good.

11. 'All the Bright Places' by Jennifer Niven

All the Bright Places is a very John Green-esque YA novel, but one with a little bit of a heavier meaning. Dealing with suicide and the stigma surrounding it, Niven's characters reference Virginia Woolf's work a lot, which is what got me into reading her. 10/10 recommend, but warning, it's a sad read.

12. 'Mosquitoland' by David Arnold

Mim Malone is exactly what every teenager wanted to be — cool, edgy, reserved, rebellious, brave, witty, wild. She has a great taste in music and tons of emotional baggage to sort through, which ends up taking you as the reader quite literally on a crazy journey of self-discovery, coming to terms, and coming of age. Whether you want to be just like her or not, you can't actually go through this book and not fall in love with her as a character.

13. 'Night' by Elie Wiesel

Night is a book that I have come back to multiple times over the years. It continually wrecks me every time. This memoir about Weisel's time in Auschwitz might only be 116 pages long, but it will leave you thinking about it long beyond those pages. I could go on and on about how it has impacted my perception of the Holocaust as a historical event. Reading his personal story somehow makes the outrage and pain cut even deeper than it normally would. In terms of language, this is an easy read, but I have only faced content this difficult a couple of other times.

14. 'All the Light We Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr

This is one of those heartbreakingly beautiful stories that you always want to come back to, but you know that it'll hurt all over again when you do, but you still do. Doerr tells the stories of Werner, a young German boy who ends up joining the Nazi army and Marie-Laure, a blind French girl who flees the Nazi invasion of Paris with her father to a small island where her Great Uncle Etienne lives. Needless to say, the two stories collide in a way that you might not expect and you'll get left thinking for weeks after.

15. 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee

Again, we have another book that I could probably write pages upon pages about and still not entirely express my feelings. I love this book so much. It tackles some really difficult stuff and does it through the eyes of a little kid, which I think makes it easier to read as well as hilariously funny. If you need more of a reason to read it, it got banned recently for "making people uncomfortable," which usually means that it's a really good and powerful book.