5 Books I'm Looking Foward To The Most For The Summer Of 2019
Books Lit

Once this semester is over, Barnes & Noble is taking ALL of my money.

64

With the semester almost over (it's honestly going by way too fast), and summer sneaking up on us, I think that it's only appropriate to list out some of the books I'm excited to buy to read very soon! I love the spring and summer because I actually have time to sit down outside and enjoy a few books in the natural sunlight. And I think 2019 has some promising new (and experienced) writers emerging to the scene to bring us some books that will surely be classics.

1. "The Only Woman In the Room" by Marie Benedict

This one is for all the feminist/history buffs out there, like myself. This novel centers around the life of Hollywood actress, Hedy Lamarr, but it's more of a fictionalized account of her life than a biography. In addition to a beautiful Hollywood star, who escaped Nazi persecution despite her Jewish roots, she was also a budding scientist and invented a device that would revolutionize modern communication forever. There are mixed reviews on the book, but I'm excited to learn more about this beautiful "wonder woman" of the 20th century.

Release Date: Out now

2. "The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins

Frannie Langton is a servant who is accused of murdering her employer and his wife in 19th century London, but she claims that she can't remember what happened. While in court, she instead tells a story about her life as a former slave and how she became to be a servant for her ex-employer. This novel is expected to be a beautiful historical thriller, with undertones about society's oppression of minorities and lower-class citizens, that parallels similar modern-day issues. This book combines all of my favorite things: history, a powerful narrative, and most of all, reflective commentary on our society.

Release Date: April 4th, 2019

3. "Survival Math: Notes On An All-American Family" by Mitchell S. Jackson

I think the book I'm most excited for out of the five I've listed is this one. In this memoir, Jackson talks about the experiences of his youth, living in an urban community, rampaged by drugs and violence. In addition to first-hand accounts and narratives by his family members, the memoir has poems and photographs that capture the experiences of those who are oppressed in America.

Release Date: Out now

4. "The Need" by Helen Phillips

Here's yet another thriller, but this time set in modern times. In this novel, the main character is a stressed-out, full-time mother of two. One night, she finds an intruder in her house, who uncannily everything about her and her family. There are promising reviews for this book, with many reviewers expressing that it's so much more than just your average thriller novel because it deals with so many underlying truths about our lives. Everyone's being extremely cryptic about what it's really about, but I guess that's the whole point, so I'm excited to finally pick it up and see what all the hype is about!!

Release Date: July 9th, 2019

5. "Once More We Saw Stars: A Memoir" by Jayson Greene

Any book that has to do with changing the way we see the world from our own perspective already has me SOLD. The gist of this story is that a young girl was struck by a brick and knocked unconscious. The rest of the story follows the lives of her parents, Jayson and Stacy, who deal with the trauma and learn about how to keep hope alive in the midst of the scariest moments of their lives. I already have a feeling that this book will make me cry, and I can't wait to be moved by the powerful narrative about grief and healing.

Release Date: May 14th, 2019