Books For Break

Books For Break

Reading is good for your health.

105
Books For Break

Here are some great books for reading over the holiday season. These are the kinds that you get so immersed in, you feel like you're in another world, and you're completely changed afterwards. They are all very heavy (literally and figuratively).

1. "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck

This book will blow your mind. Basically, you have these two brothers, Adam and Charles, who represent Cain and Abel from the Bible. That's really all I can say, because this is one of those books that feels like it just has everything, and you can never really talk about it to someone who hasn't read it. All you can say is, read it. So, read it.

2. "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving

Read this whether you're religious or not. It's magical. You will absolutely fall in love with Owen Meany as a book and a character.

3. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov

Definitely the shortest book on this list, you may very well have heard about this book. Perv guy falls in love with his little step-daughter. Read it before you judge. It's not love, but it's beautiful writing and an amazing look into how, in this man's mind, there is nothing wrong with what he's doing. Unreliable narrators!!

4. "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy

Read this especially if you grew up in the south (particularly a coastal area). This is another book that has everything. This will hit you hard. Over and over again. You won't be able to put it down. I read it for a class in high school, and we were all so far ahead of the schedule the entire time.

5. "The Magus" by John Fowles.

Just read it. It's absolutely huge, but very worth it. Greek island. Beautiful writing.

6. "Ulysses" by James Joyce

I recommend getting an annotated edition in addition to this book, because otherwise, you will have no clue what is going on. I'm taking an entire class dedicated to this book this semester. It's a rewrite of "The Odyssey" in Dublin.

If you need a distraction, something to pass the time or just another world to exist in for a bit, these books are the answer. If I ever want to get myself out of a slump and look at the world differently, I'd head to my bookshelf and grab one of these.