books to read if you're a woman

5 Books That Have Empowered Me As A Young Woman

"If one man can destroy everything, why can't one girl change it?" - "I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban"

93
cdn.pixabay.com

Starting at a young age, books played a huge role in my life. As a child, I would spend hours reading my favorite books, and now in my adult years, I'm still mesmerized by the powerful stories I encounter in the books I read. As a young woman trying to navigate through a world where women aren't always encouraged to be brave and follow their dreams, I've found that many of my favorite books are ones that have inspired me to be a strong and feel empowered. Here's a brief list of books that have empowered me as a young woman, and they are ones I believe all women should read in their lifetimes.

"Stargirl"

In fourth grade my class read this book together, and my young self fell in love with the whimsical Stargirl and the way she was able to transform a community through her uniqueness. Although intended for younger audiences, "Stargirl"is full of deep themes that have continued to hold true as I've aged, and the way Jerry Spinelli presents this story is both eloquent and intriguing. "Stargirl"was and still is one of my favorite stories and has certainly inspired me to be bold and fearless in the pursuit of being myself.

"The Secret Life of Bees"

Although this story holds many powerful themes surrounding racism and America's dark history of mistreatment towards African Americans, I was particularly captivated by the main character, Lily. After experiencing and suffering the aftermath of her mother's death, Lily demonstrates great strength and leadership even at a young age, establishing the idea that young people are powerful and not to be undermined. Lily's character embodies grace in the way she sees past color even in a world where color means everything, and her persistence in accomplishing her goals shows how women can do anything they set their hearts to, even at a young age.

"I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban"

"I Am Malala" is an incredibly true story that left me feeling both inspired and empowered. Starting a young age, Malala stood up for girls' education in her country, and despite nearly dying for her cause at age 15, she has and still continues to be a powerful advocate for education for all women. As told by Malala herself, this story is breathtaking and a good reminder of the change young women make when they feel passionate enough about something.

"In The Time of the Butterflies"

I first read this book in my junior year English class and loved it from the very start. Not only does it highlight many of the tragedies of the Trujilo dictatorship in the Dominican Republic, but it also portrays strong female characters who are able to use their agency in the midst of a corrupt government. I have two younger sisters of my own, so I was captivated by the Mirabal sisters and the way they varied greatly in personality, but those differences wound up complementing each other for the better. Overall, I was amazed that this book was based on real people and events and felt so empowered by the action taken by the Mirabals; their bravery and compassion is certainly something that can inspire many young women and has taught me that women can be powerful in almost any circumstance.

"Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail"

I recently read this true retelling by Cheryl Strayed and was mesmerized by her story and all of the adventures she had while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in almost its entirety. Although she came from a shaky past, her will to find herself on this adventure and the fact that she was able to accomplish such a feat on her own demonstrates great strength that is inspiring for a young woman like myself. Some of her decisions and encounters may have been dangerous or unwise, but she was able to handle herself and make it to the finish successfully. What I found most inspiring is the end of the book when she let her readers know that she is now happily married with kids and living a great life. Strayed has paved a trail for all young women struggling to find their way in the world by letting them know that improvement can be brought out through yourself and that it's not necessary to rely on the advice and help of others to find the answers.