A Book Should NEVER Be Banned From A Student

No one should be restricted from information — especially when this information gives insight into the past and how someone lived.

335

In this day and age when we have all of the information we need right at our fingertips, it can be hard to understand the importance of printed books. Although we do have all of this information readily available for us to use at any point in time — and while it is often more convenient for us to find information on our phones — it is still incredibly important for people to be able to access printed books.

Printed literature is just as important as technological literature.

Printed books can and should be available to anyone; students especially should be able to access all forms of literature. Anyone can go get a library card, and if they are a student they can go get a book from their school library. Printed literature holds no bias as to how much money you have or your ability to purchase the latest tablet, phone or computer.

Not everyone in America, and certainly not everyone in the world, has access to the technology that would allow them to read what they need to be informed or to read any book that their school has banned.

Information is incredibly important; it is the basis of any successful democracy. Most people recognize this importance, but there are still so many pieces of literature that are banned in American schools.

Books — both fiction and nonfiction — allow the reader to walk in the shoes of the main character and see life through their eyes. Information is not only essential for a successful democracy, it is essential for growth of any kind; both societal and individual.

So many books are banned in schools and even more of these books are challenged. This list includes "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck, "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote, "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker and so many more that if I listed them this article could become long enough to become a banned novel.

Those books are classics that have the capacity to influence students more than any lesson plan ever could. They can teach them about different walks of life and let them see how times used to be.

If we do not inform our children about the past we are eventually bound to repeat it; they should have access to this information in printed books available in their school library.

People deserve the right to intellectual freedom, and students should not lose this right at the schoolhouse doors.

Many banned books cover very difficult topics to teach, but often the challenging topics are the ones that need to be taught. The best way for students to learn about hard topics is in a controlled environment.

They should be able to get this information from books in their school library because not every child has the ability to buy their own book or download it on a tablet.

Students should be able to learn about literature that is historically important without a school board or teacher deeming the topic “too difficult.” Children are much more understanding and resilient than many adults give them credit for.

All forms of literature are incredibly important, even printed forms. Yes, times are changing and printed literature is becoming less necessary, and while it seems like every child is assigned a tablet at birth, it is still important to print literature for the children who do not have access to a tablet or phone.

It is still important for hard topics to be covered. Children need to learn about the way other people live and the way we used to live.

It can be challenging to teach a student about racism, discrimination, rape and the way the world used to be and still is for many, but it is essential for them to fight against the injustices that still exist.