Book Recommendations By Sadie

Book Recommendations By Sadie

A list of my five favorite books and why I love them.

9
Book Recommendations By Sadie
Photo by Henry Be on Unsplash

"Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens

Set on the North Carolina coast, this book details the story of a young girl named Kya. Throughout the book, she is seen practically raising herself while trying to live life in a secluded marsh in the 1960s. The story follows her youth, scientific discoveries, and adventures in love, along with a huge murder trial involving a large portion of the town. The ending will shock you!
This is by far my favorite book because it is the first book I've ever read that I genuinely couldn't put down. The story is so entangling and interesting. I got really involved with each of the characters and really fell in love with the way this book was written.

"And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie

This novel takes place on an island off the English coast. Ten people from many different backgrounds have been invited by a mysterious "Mr. Owen" to stay on the island. What they didn't realize, though, is that each one of them had been involved in some sort of crime in the past. This book soon becomes a murder mystery surrounding a famous poem.

I have read this book multiple times and each time I read it I seem to figure out something new about the plotline. I love murder mysteries and this book is perfectly elaborate. Each character has an interesting back story and it is fun to imagine what each character would look and act like. This is a classic that I would highly recommend.

"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kid

In 1964 South Carolina, a young girl named Lily runs away with Rosaleen, the black woman who raised her after her mother died many years ago. After they leave Lily's abusive father and racist town, they arrive at a pink house that houses three kind beekeepers, all of whom are sisters. This coming-of-age story is charming and a great read.

I first had to read this book for a summer reading assignment for school. But this was the best book I have ever been required to read. This book does have many sad undertones but the feeling of community within the book overshadows the negativity. This book really highlights the importance of love and acceptance as a form of healing, and that is why I find it truly beautiful.

"A Break with Charity" by Ann Rinaldi

This historical fiction story about the Salem witch trials follows a girl named Susanna. Susanna really wants to join the group of girls who have secret meetings and accuse different women in the town of being witches. She eventually realizes that the actions of these girls are wrong. This book is about her moral struggle between being deceitful but safe or being truthful and risking being accused of witchcraft.

I know there are countless stories inspired by the Salem witch trials, but this one is so unique. I have read many books by Ann Rinaldi and, let me tell you, she is a historical fiction expert. She always gives informative accounts of most of the actual events while also incorporating one fictional person's story to make the event more personal. This book really furthered my knowledge on a topic I have always been interested in, but further showed me the internal conflicts associated with this time period.

"Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White

This classic story follows a little girl named Fern who lives on a farm. She has a special bond with her pig, Wilbur, and his spider friend, Charlotte. Perfect for readers of all ages, this book tells the story of childhood on a farm and the communication of the animals that is unknown to the humans. It is a light-hearted yet sad read that enchanted me.

I actually have a copy of this book from the 1930s, so it was a really special experience reading not only this classic story but also holding an antique while I did it. I loved how this book made me feel youthful. In my opinion, this book is the perfect rainy day read.