My 10 Favorite Book Quotes

10 Of My Favorite Quotes From Books That Actually Mean Something

Never underestimate the power of a book.

268
Loui Wenig

I've loved reading ever since I was little. I always had a book to read, there was just something about getting lost in the words with the characters that made me feel right at home. With getting back to college, I don't really have time to read but I try to read a book every few months or so.

I've kept a note document in my phone of all the quotes in books that have spoken to me and inspired me or made me feel emotion whether that was sadness, hope, or motivation. These are books that I've read a long time ago and recently.

1. "It's ok to mourn your dreams that have died." - 100 Days to Brave

This book was given to me by a friend when I was going through a tough time and I was trying to figure out who I was and what I wanted from life. This is so true and it's important for us to realize that not all dreams might be possible and it's ok to be sad about that for a little while and then pick yourself up.

2. "Like everything in life, I just had to decide what to do with what I was given." - New Moon

The Twilight Saga. So iconic in so many ways. Carlisle said this to Bella when he was telling her his story about becoming a vampire. He didn't choose that life but he did choose to do something good with it.

3. "How often we sin, how much we deceive, and all for what?... all will end in death." - War and Peace

War and Peace is a huge book and it's a challenge to read but very rewarding. Leo Tolstoy published the book in 1869. It's true that we will all die so why do people do the cruel things that they do?

4. "I saw that they were no longer boastful, joking lads. The music in the valley made them almost elderly." - Of Men and War

This book is by far one of my favorites. I recently read it earlier this year and I think about it all the time. We don't really think about past wars and even the present wars and think about the survivors and veterans. This book will make you appreciate all that the past soldiers and the freedom that we have. Thank a veteran today.

5. "Most people see what they expect." - East of Eden

There are so many takeaways from this book. John Steinbeck was a very odd writer but he wrote some amazing books. East of Eden is a great book but for one who truly wants to read it. If you're just looking for something to read pick something easier because it's a challenge. A lot of people just see what they want to see or see what they expect without having an open mind.

6. "Young men's love, then, lies not truly in their hearts, but in their eyes." - Romeo and Juliet

Friar Lawrence was so right about this one. A lot of people think they're in love but it's just infatuation.

7. "For time is enhanced by the gift of solitude." - Reflections from the North Country

This is such a good book. It really gets the reader connected with nature and the desire to be alone and reflect.

8. "Anything essential is invisible to the eye."- The Little Prince

Material things don't matter as much as we think they do. Yes, shelter, food and all that is essential but love, honesty, faith, and the like are much more important than any material thing.

9. "A soldier should know the difference between words and deed and keep that knowledge clear in his brain." - Beowulf

As much as I don't like how this book ends, I do really like the lessons that it teaches. It doesn't have to mean just a soldier. It can mean anyone. You and me. Everyone should know the difference between an action and just saying they'll do it. If you say you're going to do something, then do it.

10. "When you know a friend is there, you do not go to see him. Then he is gone and you blast your conscience to shreds that you did not see him." - East of Eden

This is such a good quote. We think that our friends will be around for forever but really no one will be around for forever. Life is so short and anything can happen. Love your friends and go see them.