Social Media Plays A Huge Part In Body Dysmorphia

Your Body Dysmorphia Won't Go Away Until You Stop Wishing You Looked Like The Instagram Models You Follow

The bodies of others should not impact the love you have for yourself.

94

Body Dysmorphia Disorder (BDD), is the mental disorder where one fixates one's perceived flaws of their physical appearance.

Individuals who experience body dysmorphia spend hours of the day obsessing over their physical appearance: whether that be their facial structures, skin conditions, or more notably, their body size. Statistics show that 1 in 50 people are affected by this disorder, mainly women who are not satisfied with their body image and physical appearance.

Body dysmorphia is a serious issue in today's society of social media and television, that it could be the new underlying cause of the insecurities in one's appearance.

I mean, look at Instagram: Kim Kardashian-West's ad for appetite suppressants, handfuls of FitTea sponsorship with gorgeous women celebrities with already rocking bods, and even Khloe Kardashian's love of waist trainers that sold thousands to women trying to force a too-thin of waist. Yes, these women are gorgeous, and us poor folk and struggling college students are empowering these women to showcase their beauty in whatever way they see fit, but here's the tea: they didn't get these bodies from these products. They got it from the thousands of dollars they pay their trainers, the power of Photoshop, and the little-to-no food they consume.

We look at these ads, these videos, and these Instagram photos, and we immediately look at ourselves in a negative light. In reality, half of what we see is not even real.

I know I've done it. I'll get done looking at a picture of Kylie Jenner's perfect hourglass body, her flawless skin, and her cute pout, and I look at the mirror disgusted. I've been there — high school was rough, and especially growing up in ballet, the goal to thin was a rough path for me.

Food, the mirror, and I have never had a great relationship, but as I grow up, I realize that there's really no such thing as "picture perfect."

Here is my two cents on the matter: body dysmorphia is real, and comparing ourselves to others plays into that. The next time you scroll down your timeline and see a gorgeous picture of Kendall Jenner, rather than look down at your stomach or look into the dark reflection of your phone, simply put your phone down, or scroll past. As cliché as this sounds, we are all beautiful in our own way, and obsessing over our flaws won't fix anything or make us look like someone else's Photoshop. Embrace your inner and outer beauty, and carry on with the rest of your day!