To The Blossoming Girl

To The Blossoming Girl

Check your ego, your pride and leave the phone.

202
To The Blossoming Girl
Katie Plane

My mom always explained to be the term "Blossoming" was when what was once typical, grew into beauty.

She would tell me that girls all blossomed at different times in her life. Some way before others. I was always the late bloomer. I would look around and see these beautiful girls with flawless skin and beautiful teeth. Whereas me, at this age, wore baggy t-shirts and still had braces. Mind you, this was 9th grade, but still. I wanted to be the girl that every boy had her eye on. I wanted to be the center of attention for just once, like all of these blossoming girls were. Being a girl in the background was not what I wanted to be for the rest of my life.

I do not necessarily know when, or if I am currently blossoming. Some days I feel it, I feel empowered, I feel beautiful, I feel confident. But then I think back to that girl who hid in the backgrounds, who layed low, who didn't post selfies. Who never in their right mind would snapchat someone without makeup. Who slumped over when she walked. Who had incredible features, that she had not grown into yet. The girl with tangly hair, and freckles. The girl who no matter what she ate would end up remaining skinny throughout her high school career. I think back to that girl, and how much I have blossomed. But when there is blossoming, there is wilting.

To the girl who is blossoming, I hope you watch your ego, and do not become obsessed with your image, and making people see you as a flawless human being. Because you are not flawless. I hope instead of the numerous selfies you want to post, or send out to guys, you get out into the world more. Doing your makeup just to take a picture is not worth it. Always remain humble. With blossoming comes newfoud attention from people you would have never thought you would attract. Don't let your gaurd down for just any person that comes around. The same people who would never show you the time of day in 9th grade, now want your attention. Because you are blossoming. Always remember how those people made you feel. Like a girl in the background.

I wish that you would take a moment every now and then to realize where you came from. To realize how much you struggled both externally and internally to get where you are now. And do not take that for granted, nor waste it. I promise you that staying up late at night whitening your teeth and making your eyebrows perfect will not make a difference to the quality of your life. I am 100% sure that you can leave your phone at home, and do not need to snapchat every aspect of your life in a selfie. I swear to you, that if you blossom delicately, that your inner rose will last forever. I mean, you don't want to wilt too early, right?