Why It's OK To Block Someone

Why It's OK To Block Someone

​Maybe you think it’s censorship, maybe you think its amazing, but the block button is crucial this day in age.

29938
Why It's OK To Block Someone
Flickr//Hamza

Let me just start by saying you do not need negativity in your life. I mean that. If someone consistently makes you upset or unhappy, then you do not need them in your life. I know that everyone has at least one person in their life that has done them wrong more than once. I’ve been there, we’ve all been there.

You may have friends who tell you not to block anyone from your phone, but honestly, why shouldn’t you? Why should you sit there and receive messages from someone who consistently makes you unhappy. It took me a long time to decide to block the person who was the root of my problems, but the minute that I did I instantly felt better.

Knowing that someone isn’t able to contact you is a bit weird at first. Maybe its even bittersweet. You don’t want to ever have the need to cut someone out of your life in its totality, but sometimes they leave you no choice. You can only give someone so many chances before you just absolutely cannot take it anymore. Don’t sit around and let someone walk all over you because they’ve learned your weaknesses. That’s simply letting them take advantage of you.

There is a big difference between being a nice person and taking care of yourself. I feel as though that is something that I have struggled to draw the line between for my entire life. However, in the past month I managed to decide that I need to put myself first and stop letting one person ruin my happiness. It isn’t fair to let some deprive you of being happy, and unfortunately the only way that I could ensure that this wouldn’t happen was to block him.

Blocking sounds so aggressive. It seems like you are completely abandoning someone. But in all reality, if you’re blocking someone they have already abandoned you. They’ve abandoned you in the sense that they no longer care about your feelings, your happiness, or your life at all. Blocking someone in this day in age is just protecting yourself. It isn’t censorship. If someone really wants to contact you, they will find a way. They can write you a letter or email you or text you from someone else’s phone. But if someone really truly does not care and is making you upset on a daily basis, then that is absolutely unnecessary.

There is an enormous difference between censorship and blocking someone from your phone. Censorship is something that is done by an authoritarian figure to prevent others from seeing content. Blocking someone is doing what you can to make yourself happy.

I feel like there is a giant stigma around the word ‘blocking’. Our generation has made it such a big deal to stop talking to someone because they make you unhappy, but in all honesty, it is absolutely 100% okay. I’m not saying go and block every person you’ve ever had an argument with, but we all have that one person in our life who consistently puts us down or hasn’t been there for us when we needed it.