Block Party

Last week, Panhellenic at Texas Tech found a way to bond all the sisters in every house in more ways than just one.  Many people think that sororities don’t like each other, but that’s not the case. This past week, Panhellenic had an event for every day of the week. This included different activities, like a speaker, a block party, and even spirit day on Friday, when you wore your favorite sorority shirt. Out of all the fun and exciting days, I really enjoyed Wednesday. On Wednesday, Panhellenic closed off all of Greek circle to throw a block party to support and hang out with all the other girls in Panhellenic.

The block party started at 6:30 but we had to try and be there before 6 or we would have to walk a little bit because they closed off all the entrances and exits. When my Chi Omega sisters started showing up, I started to realize how fun this event was going to be. At every lodge, each sorority provided some kind of carnival food where you could go and get a card stamped to enter in a prize at the very end.

Chi Omega’s choice of a snack was coke floats. Who doesn’t like a yummy coke float on a warm day? As we started on our truck to other sorority houses, my sisters and I stopped by Kappa Delta, where they had cotton candy. After a coke float and some cotton candy, we went to Alpha Pi where they were painting your hand to put on a poster for a good cause and also had some cold drinks. How great of an idea that was to bring in a good cause to include all of Panhellenic.

After Alpha Pi we then went to Zeta Tau Alpha where they had “Bra Pong” to support their philanthropy, breast cancer. That was another great activity to inform us about how effective breast cancer is. They even had little flyers with information and handed out prizes to the winners of the game.

Next, we went to Kappa where they had a cakewalk with music. It really just felt like a big fun filled party with a bunch of girls who all seem to have the same passion. As we continued to make out way around Greek circle, we then stopped at Theta where they had pancakes. At this point we were all getting full, but we wanted to go to every house to fill our card with stamps. After the delicious pancakes, we went to Alpha Chi Omega where they had pizza.

With only three more stops to go we finished strong. After we stopped by Delta Gamma for some cookies and to make brail cards for the blind we stopped by Pi Phi and had some more cookies. We finished at the Tri Delta lodge with a cup of popcorn.

After we went to every lodge and enjoyed all the food and company from all 11 sororities, we entered our punch card in the prize box to try and win free movies at a theater for a year. 

At the end of this amazing bonding experience, I took away that it wasn’t meant to be about the free food but to simply enjoy being in the company of all the other houses on campus and to learn more about what each house is truly about.