'Black Panther' And 'Wonder Woman' Are In A League Of Their Own

You can rise above circumstances, and yes, you can even be a superhero.

157
YouTube

I saw Black Panther the weekend after it came out, and I was in love from the very beginning. The backstory, the fleshing out of the characters, the true emotion, and setting, all of it was beyond superb. Black Panther has come to the world in a time of great need, and more than just the need for another superhero movie.

Black Panther addressed race issues well from the start. The nation of Wakanda and it’s citizens are not better because they are African--they are amazing and black. Black Panther marries the two perfectly. Shuri, the younger sister of the Black Panther (T’Challa) and princess of Wakanda is the smartest person in the world (beating Ironman). Culture is embraced and celebrated, poured onto the silver screen for the world to enjoy.

I feel I have become better educated because of Black Panther. I knew very little about tribal Africa before, but because of the way tribes are displayed in the movie (capturing many countries and demographics of Africa in one) I have learned so much. Now I can tell you about the Dahomey Amazons, the Basotho, and the Mursi.

While I am normally not a person who fangirls over superhero movies, Black Panther was the second one to leave me in awe. The first was Wonder Woman, which I saw for the first time in the Middle East (fitting as Wonder Woman is portrayed by Israeli actress Gal Gadot). I left Wonder Woman feeling like I could conquer the world. I hope Black Panther does the same to the black community.

Wonder Woman and Black Panther are in a league of their own because of representation. Has there been female and minority superheroes before? Yes, but never to this extent where they are being celebrated on the silver screen. Wonder Woman is the first female hero I’ve come across that isn’t about sex appeal. Instead, she’s about saving the world. Black Panther portrays brilliant, beautiful black people living their best life as spies, inventors, and royalty.

I am grateful that the villain of Black Panther is fleshed out well so we understand what turned him into, well, himself. Erik was raised in Oakland, California in the 1990’s, a terrible time for African Americans. However, in the end, his poor upbringing (which he had no control of) does not excuse the actions he chose to make which led him to become the antagonist.

I hope Wonder Woman and Black Panther can serve as examples everywhere. Women can be brave and talented without compromising their femininity. Black Panther encourages both men and women in the STEM fields, to be brave, that you can rise above circumstances, and yes, you can even be a superhero.