Poetry on the Odyssey: I’m tired, Enough

I write this not as lamentation but as a call for continuous to action.

4

Six months has never felt this heavy before. As we approach the middle of 2020, we can feel exhaustion from simply going on social media, or stepping outside. The news has never been more crowded with stories of pain, injustice and unrest. And yes, we are slowly recovering from the invisible enemy that put all of our lives on hold (COVID-19) but since the recent deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and others, the more insidious and sometimes hidden virus of racism has come to light for all to see and none to ignore.

I struggled for a while to put my thoughts into feelings, but for me the best way is stream of consciousness poetic prose. I am proud to see the protests, marches and outcries for justice continuing to spread despite it being almost a month since it began. We can take breaks, for our mental health- but we need to keep going. This is only the beginning of long awaited change.

I'm Tired. Enough.

As an American, I'm tired.

I turn on the news and watch the same injustice enacted on black people, like a made-for tv movie. We didn't ask for the sequel, but they just kept producing

As a woman, I'm tired.

Constantly having to reiterate that our bodies are not property. Our bodies are beautiful. Everybody should be treated with respect as much as any white woman and should not be compared to white women as the standard. That we shouldn't have to die for asking why we are stopped or what the meaning of the arrest is for. Or for simply being in our own home.

As an Afro-carribean ,I'm tired.

My parents didn't immigrate to America for this. They were sold on the idea that America lives by its principals; All men are created equal- justice and liberty for all when in reality it's as much a lie as Christopher Columbus discovering America.It's hard enough having your expectations shattered by the reality of the world but it's even harder when you feel helpless to stop it. It's harder when your own life is also at risk. I want the America that my parents yearned for. The one that they will be proud to be called citizens of.

As a human being, I'm tired.

And I write this not as lamentation but as a call for continuous to action. The simplest acts of violence that have plagued black people have gone on far too long and we are done explaining why. It's time to act.

People are in the streets protesting, marching, chanting and it means more now than ever considering the virus that has been plaguing the world. They fight against the virus of racism that has plagued the nation. Not everyone is able to show their solidarity through protest but luckily there are other ways;

You could educate yourself and others on why this is important.

We must continue fighting for justice that often goes unseen.It must be taught in schools, for more than 28 days but for the entire year just as much as "American history."We must support the efforts of black creatives and continue to uplift all groups of color. Change also begins from within- defunding the police force and changing it so that we feel protected instead of attacked when we see an officer.

The administration does not care. So we have to.

There has been so many killers of innocent black men, women and gender-nonconforming that have gone to live their lives while their families and communities struggle with the pain of losing another one to the hands of racism. I've seen it all before-

the out cries for justice

the protests

Marches-

Posters-

Chants

but I haven't seen it like this.

This is not enough.

It has never been enough.

But now, the world is listening

We'll hold its attention

so that it will finally be

Enough.