3 Black Female Stereotypes That Need To Become Black History ASAP

And why they should be history.

166
Alex Sorto

Since it's Black History Month, I think it is time to debunk some myths that people have about black girls. There's this stigma that follows black girls that try to define us without giving the time to actually get to know the differences there are among us. Therefore, this list is to prove that every black woman, despite our strength, is not the same. Here are my top three stereotypes that bother me the most.

1. Black women are angry.

I do not know about you all, but this one really bothers me. Black women are expected have this strength bravado that makes it seem as if they find themselves to be of the higher elite.Judging someone's personality based on the color of their skin is not only fair but also not intelligent. Black girls can be rude, of course. However, black women also have the capabilities to be sweet and kind of heart. I pride myself on treating others the way they want to be treated, and in my life, I have found most black women to be this way. Yet, somehow there is some preconceived knowledge that black women have hatred in their heart. Black women are characterized as being heartless and too strong, which takes away from femininity. Then, when a black woman decides to voice out her opinions, instead of her being taken seriously, her passion is mistaken for anger only giving strength to the stereotype. When a black woman decides to speak out on her pain, she is now considered crazy instead of being listened to, This silences a black woman and keeps her ideas to herself. Even when she is able to justify her anger, a black woman swallows her agitation in order to avoid being called, "The Angry Black Woman." This stereotype leads to black women only failing to take a stand because they are scared of the backlash they may face.

2. Black women are not meant for a relationship.

There is a hidden notion that black women are unlovable. How is it okay to take a whole emotion away from a set of individuals? Anyone has the capability of love, and assuming that black women do not have that emotion is inconsiderate. I don't know who is out here lying on our black women, but anybody is capable of love, and a black woman surely is not exempt. The number of men, including African American men, that believe, "Black women are too complicated for a relationship," is unreal. Black women are being categorized and losing their chance at true love because of some ugly stereotype that is not even true. People then begin to try to tell black women what they are doing wrong and how to find a relationship as if they are their own cause of problems. How will black women ever have a chance at getting into a relationship if everyone believes that all black women are the same? It is just another reminder that society finds a black woman to be unlovable compared to a woman of any other woman. 'What's wrong with you?" seems to be the only question that people have for a single black woman. How can a black woman ever be able to find love if everyone is only concerned with finding ways to fix the black woman?

3. Black women are not beautiful.

For some reason, people seem to believe that black people have bad hair which is why they cover it with weaves and wigs. Black women have the ability to grow hair just as much as any other race. A black woman's hair has the capability to be straight, curly, nappy, and kinky. However, none of these hair types can be considered "bad hair." black women then are considered that their natural states are not beautiful. Suddenly, being black is not enough as people are asking you if you were mixed with something as if black cannot be beautiful on its own. People making their comments on the darkness of one's skin and the naps one's head as if those things are not the things that make them black. Black women are only being called pretty when their hair is straightened and their hair is that perfect skin color. Black women now are forced to actively say they are beautiful just for the world to recognize it.

Black women are expected to be strong and brave and a mother-like figure. However, they are also expected to be angry and loveless and not beautiful. Society has stolen the femininity that a black woman should have. They have portrayed black woman to be more of a beast than a beauty. We only just now have begun our journey towards appreciating the black woman community, but we have so much more ways to go.