Bite Back Pt. 6

Bite Back Pt. 6

A sci-fi short story.
139

Kyle knew he wasn't going to get to sleep that night but nothing could have prepared him for how he felt. Everything was still rattling around inside his mind. He didn't know how he was going to survive, and worse yet, if his girlfriend would survive. Since he wasn't going to sleep anytime soon, he started making a plan. He knew now, from seeing the zombies in action, that they had some basic form of communication, and that the virus or whatever turned them into zombies didn't infect everyone. One of these didn't make sense and the other just meant that the zombies had an advantage over him but at least he knew what to expect.

He knew he told the guy, whoever he was, that he had to wait until morning. Kyle on the other hand couldn't wait that long to check on his girlfriend. He wanted to text or call her but if she was hiding from the zombies and her phone went off it might've given her away. He went back into his suite mate's room. He peered out the window;it was dark but not dark enough to where he couldn't see anything. There were no zombies in the parking lot from what he could tell. Grabbing the wooden sword again, he made his way down the stairs as quietly as he could. When he got to the bottom, he felt his heart skip a beat as his mind flashed back to what happened last time he had left his dorm. Kyle shook the feeling off, this wasn't the time to be scared. He knew he all those zombie books he's read and movies he's watched weren't a waste of his time. Now was the time to show that he knew what he was doing.

Kyle grabbed the handle and turned it slowly, opening the door just a crack. He looked outside, nothing moved, nothing made any noise. Kyle thought this would be a scene from a horror movie. He opened the door slowly, and slipped out without fully opening it. The door closed quietly as Kyle made a left and went towards his girlfriend's dorm. It was the last room on the building, and she was in a room by herself. Making his way towards her dorm, he saw something that gave him hope. Her light was the only one on in the entire campus. He ran up to the door and tested the handle. It was unlocked. Kyle's heart started to race, he didn't know if this was a good or bad thing. He checked behind him to make sure nothing was sneaking up on him. He opened the door. The little room that held the door to her suite and the stairs to the upstairs suite was completely quiet. The inside door to her suite was unlocked too. This made Kyle's body tense. "What if i'm walking into a room with zombies?" he thought. He decided he didn't want to waste time sitting there. He opened the door; the suite was lit by the lights on the ceiling and the bathroom door was open, his girlfriend's room was closed.

Kyle was getting too anxious to just be standing still so he grabbed the handle and pushed the door open. First came the ringing, then came the blurred vision, next the pain, and finally black.