Bite Back Pt. 5

Bite Back Pt. 5

A sci-fi short story.
70

The scream came again. "HEEEELP!" Kyle looked up towards the room that the zombies were drawn to. In the window he saw someone staring down at the zombie. He couldn't make out who it was from here. He'd have to get closer to see. The voice broke into the air again, "Aye you, help me!" Kyle took another look and he saw the person in the window looking straight at him. This wasn't good, one zombie caught onto its prey looking at something and looked in the same direction. Kyle and the zombie locked eyes. It let out an ear shattering cry and the rest of the 20 zombies in front of the window snapped their heads in Kyle's direction. All of them started sprinting in his direction. He swore under his breath. Kyle grabbed two bags of groceries and tossed them inside and then grabbed a case of the water and threw that in to. He only had enough time to shut his trunk and the front door before the pack reached him.

Kyle heard the banging on the door and the grunts and screams from outside. He didn't know what was happening to his car either. At least he had his keys still. He carried the food upstairs and then the case of water. He put all the stuff safely in his room and locked the door at the top of the stairs. He leaned against the door that led to the stairs, trying to catch his breath. There was someone else alive. He didn't know how he had survived whatever this was but now he might be able to make a connection. He went into his suite-mates room and opened the window. The guy was still in the window and the zombies had moved back to watching him. Kyle figured he was safe enough up in the room so he took his chance. "Hey, 302." The person looked up and around searching for where Kyle's voice was coming from. "106 upstairs." The person looked over at Kyle. "Oh hey man, what kind of help was that?" Was this guy serious? Did he want him to fight the zombies with his fists? "Look, you need to stop yelling and let these things go to sleep. Then and only then can I try and help you."

The person put their hands on top of their head. "Are you serious? Wait for them to go to sleep? And how are you supposed to help me? You're in the same situation as I am." Kyle rubbed the bridge of his nose, this guy was ridiculous. "If I'm in the same situation as you are, tell me how much food do you have in your dorm?" There was a moment of silence. "What?". "Just tell me how much food you have."

There was a few minutes where all Kyle could here was some grunts and groans of the zombies. "106 are you still there?" Kyle stood up and looked out the window. "Yeah I'm still here." There were fewer zombies in the parking lot but not all of them were gone just yet. "I have a few beers, a couple bagels and some leftover Dominos Pizza." Kyle shook his head, great so he likes partying. "Okay, stay in your dorm until the morning, they should fall asleep or lose interest by then and you can make your way over here." The guy sounded annoyed. "Okay fine, I don't think this is a great idea, but I'm tired of looking at these things wanting to eat me alone." Kyle walked back into his room. There were bags of stuff on the floor. Kyle took everything that needed to be frozen and put it in his refrigerator in the hallway. He threw a few waters in there as well.

Kyle spent the rest of the time cleaning the room and making it more accommodating for himself. As night drew nearer, he had an idea. He didn't want to forget anything that he learned about the zombies. He found a small notebook and pen. He started writing down important things he learned about the zombies. The first two entries were, "Doesn't infect everyone." and "can ommunicate."