5 Ways To Embrace Celebrating Your Birthday Away From Home

Celebrating your birthday away from home might make you feel lonely, but here are some tips to make it the best birthday ever.

60

Birthdays are exciting. It's the one day of the year that you can say, "it's MY day" and everyone will understand.

However, once you start college or move away from home, it can start feeling a little lonely.

I know that I personally was beginning to feel lonely the days leading up to my birthday because I knew I wouldn't be able to celebrate with all of my loved ones from home. But I was fortunate enough to have my family surprise me the morning of my birthday, which I was over the moon about.

If you're not as fortunate as I was for my first birthday away from home, here are some tips to make the most out of your birthday.

Organize a dinner with your friends.

No one should ever spend their birthday alone. It just makes being away from home feel worse. Surround yourself with friends who love you and want to celebrate you on your special day. Also, you can never go wrong with dinner. Who doesn't love food already? By organizing a dinner out, it can even give you an excuse to dress up. Remember, it's YOUR day and you get to call the shots.

Have a fun night out.

This also gives you a perfect reason to dress up and go out to have a night full of fun. If you're into going clubbing and dancing, then this will most likely be your go-to for celebrating your birthday. Grab a group of friends and make a list of possible clubs you want to go to on your special day. There might even be one you've just been dying to go to. Go to that one. Don't forget to go big or go home.

Go to a museum.

Maybe clubs and parties aren't your types of thing. Or maybe you want to try something different. You can't go wrong with going to a museum. Whether it's of contemporary art or of a specific topic. Let it be a museum of something that interests you. You can even go to a children's science center nearby for more hands-on fun. It's usually something that can take up most of your day. It's also very relaxing, which is something just what you need.

Try something new.

SImple as that. Just try something new. Whether it's going out to eat something you've never had before or doing an activity that is completely out of your comfort zone. Your options are endless and range from many different activities. You can either do this by yourself or with a couple of your best friends. Who knows, maybe you can even cross it off of your bucket list.

Treat yourself.

You know that bag from the mall you've been looking at the last couple of months? Buy it. You want an ice cream? Go get your ice cream. TREAT YOURSELF. SImple as that. No one knows what you want more than yourself. Personally, I always buy myself a gift for my birthday so I know that I'll receive AT least one gift I will genuinely like. Just don't forget to stay in budget and only spend the money that you have.

These tips can either help you with deciding to do for your birthday or maybe even help you come up with other ideas.

Just remember that it isn't the end of the world if you're not able to spend your birthday with your family. You will be OK.

Now, go and have fun. IT'S YOUR DAY.