Regardless of your stance, I am a proud owner of Birkenstocks. And while they are pretty amazing, at times, I regret ever putting them on my feet.
I bought my first and only pair of Birkenstocks this past summer, and I will admit, in the beginning, I thought they were the best footwear purchase I had ever made. I only wore them out while on errands, so my feet didn't spend too much time in them.
But for my birthday, my family and I went out to Washington D.C. to eat dinner, and of course, being completely in love with my Birkenstocks, I wore them out. We had parked kind of far away and had to walk a bit to get to the restaurant we were planning to eat at and after dinner, my family and I walked around D.C. to sightsee.
But, in the middle of sightseeing, the side of my foot started hurting, but I wasn't quite sure why and I didn't give the pain a second thought and just kept walking.
When I got home though, oh my goodness. There were blisters the size of my thumb on the insides of both of my feet. I was so confused.
How could the supposedly super comfortable Birkenstocks cause this sort of monstrosity?
OK, OK. I will admit, my feet are wider than a normal person's foot, but my Birkenstocks were not tight at all. I was able to fit into them with socks easily, so it was not like I had caused this problem, for once.
Even though I was fairly certain that under the circumstances of this issue that I was not the problem, I couldn't be 100% sure. I do have wider feet, so I decided to do some research and went to the place that has all of the answers, Google. And to my surprise, I read horror stories of other people who have had issues with Birkenstocks as well.
What didn't make sense is that they only had problems for a couple of weeks whereas I had had my Birkenstocks for over a month when this blister fiasco happened.
So, nevertheless, mine should have been out of the "breaking in" stage. No one else seemed to have this as a persistent issue when they wore their Birkenstocks for long periods of time.
I am not going to be disowning my Birkenstocks, oh no. However, my perception of them has been tainted. While they are comfortable, maybe it's just me, but they can cause immense pain.
So if anyone else out there has this issue, please speak up so I won't have to believe that it's actually my feet that are causing my problems with Birkenstocks because that would be pretty devasting.
- Tips I learned shoe-shopping with a podiatrist. ›
- It's sandals at dawn in the battle of the Birkenstocks - Telegraph ›
- Tips for Buying and Wearing Birkenstocks – GRIT & GLAMOUR ›
- The Problem With Birkenstocks | Into The Gloss ›
- First Time Wear @ BIRKENSTOCK ›
- Fitting Your New Birkenstocks To Your Feet: 101 – Happy Feet Plus ›
- How Long Does It Take To Break In Birkenstocks? I Documented My ... ›
- How Did Birkenstocks Convince Us the Pain of Breaking Them in ... ›
- The Birkenstock Debate - Man Repeller ›
- Happy Ugly Feet | The New Yorker ›
- Birkenstocks vs. Chacos - College Fashion ›
- 22 Reasons Birkenstocks Are The Absolute Best Shoe Ever ›
- Top 5 Benefits of Birkenstock Shoes - Overstock.com ›
- My Obsession with Birkenstocks I Pros and Cons - YouTube ›