The "Binge-Watching" Era

The "Binge-Watching" Era

It's the world's new favorite pastime.

97
The "Binge-Watching" Era
B&H

As humans, we have a constant desire to be entertained. Entertainment is defined as the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment. This enjoyment can be found by hanging out with friends and family, playing sports or reading. Though, for most people, entertainment comes from television. For many, the highlight of their day is getting the chance to sit down and watch their favorite television program or series. Television has changed dramatically throughout the years and to keep up with these ever-changing times, technology has grown and changed as well. In recent years, we have witnessed the birth of instant-streaming services, which have allowed viewers to watch full episodes and seasons of their favorite television series on any of their devices at the click of a button. This convenience created a new way to watch television on a regular basis and thus, the "Binge-Watching Era" began.

Binge-watching is a term used to describe the act of watching a particular television series over a long time span, usually in one sitting. Instant streaming services, such as Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video, provide their customers with multiple series to choose from. The people who have become experts at binge-watching know that it is certainly a unique experience.

Trying to decide which series you want to start watching.

The wide variety of titles seems great at first, but you soon realize that it is actually overwhelming because there are so many good series to choose from and your indecisive self cannot decide upon one.

Finally deciding on a series and starting the first episode.

Eventually, you make a decision and pick a new show to watch, completely unaware of the journey that you are about to embark on. Little do you know that this series is about to take over your life.

Becoming addicted to your new series.

The first few episodes might have started out slow, but once things start picking up, you cannot stop. Any and all free time that you have is now dedicated to watching your new favorite show.

Finishing a whole season in a small amount of time.

You have become so invested in this series that you don't even realize (or care, for that matter) that you have finished an entire 22-episode season in just a few days. Next thing you know, you have watched multiple seasons in a matter of weeks.

Multitasking during episodes.

Pausing an episode is almost never an option. The lengths that people will go to to avoid any interruptions is amazing. Some might even go as far as bringing their device into the bathroom with them.

Realizing that you have an addiction.

Sooner or later, you realize that this series has taken over your life. You should probably do something about this, but instead, you will probably just start the next episode.

Finding someone who also watches the series you're currently binge-watching.

This is one of the best things about binge-watching. Nothing quite brings people together as much as their obsession with the same television series. All of your conversations are now dedicated to discussing that specific series.

Finishing your latest binge-worthy television series.

You just watched the finale and you are unsure of what to do with yourself without your favorite show, but the truth is, you will probably find something new to binge watch in the next few days.

It may seem like these instant-streaming services are nothing but a nuisance to our lives, but truthfully, they make our lives better and more interesting. Binge-watching might take up a lot of our time, but it is away to take a break from the stress of the real world and relax while focusing our attention on a fictional story. As weird as it may sound, your latest television obsession can teach you some life lessons. As long as television is around, the era of the binge-watching experience will remain.