reasons to binge watch Brooklyn 99

9 Reasons Why You Should Be Binge-Watching 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'

"Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool."

73

If you've never heard about "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," same. At least, I didn't know about it until recently, and per usual, I have been binge-watching it ever since. And since it has held my attention, and actually made me want to watch a network show again, I feel obligated to share some of the reasons why "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" is worth the roughly 40-hour binge.

1. Not just a comedy

Have you ever wanted a cop show without all the super depressing (and real tbh) cases? Or a comedy that actually has a good storyline? Great news, the 99 is for you. The whole cast and the writers bring the plot to life with the just the right amount of exaggeration.

2. Actually developed characters

The more you watch this show, the deeper you get to know the characters, and you won't be disappointed. Gina's love for dance, Terry's obsession with yogurt, Boyle's local food blog. All vital pieces of information that help build up this amazing show. At this point, I wish I could meet these characters in real life.

3. Self-aware about real issues

Some shows use real-life issues as a punchlines, or willingly use stereotypes to fuel the plot. Not this show. This is comedy without needing to feel guilt from laughing. There are times when the character stops themselves to apologize for any slips, or acknowledges sexism. Finally!

4. Captain Holt

Stoic. Intelligent. A man of few, but important, words. Holt will become your favorite character in a matter of seconds. I can't count the times I've actually laughed out loud at his quips. But, maybe that says more about me...

5. Slowly realizing that you're Gina

I went into watching this show, already on the fence about Gina, which is probably for the best. But, the more I watch, the more I realize...I relate to Gina too much. It's like the saying goes, it's a trainwreck, but I just can't look away.

6. A weird, family-like dynamic that actually works

A show is only as good as its ensemble, and the 99 bring you a lovable, yet dysfunctional family that you can't help but root for. I mean, the squad even volunteered the babysit the Sergeant's twins to help alleviate his stress. That's more than loyalty; that's family.

7. The Pontiac Bandit

Every main character needs a nemesis, right? Well, in this show the "one that got away" is Doug Judy. The complex frenemy relationship between Peralta and Judy is worth the watch.

8. It's underrated

I didn't hear about this show until recently. A.K.A. once it got canceled. And wow, was I missing out. If you're a fan of "Parks and Rec" and/or "The Office," this show is for you.

9. Funny from the start

Other than the general jokes and great comedic timing, every episode begins with a different into scene. Always funny, rarely connected to the actual episode, but greatly appreciated.