TV shows to binge watch during this summer

13 T.V. shows To Binge This Summer

Whether you're just bored or need something to unwind with, there's a show for everyone out there. Here are a few of my suggestions to watch this summer.

215
13 T.V. shows To Binge This Summer

If you're anything like me, you find you have some extra time during the summer versus during the school year. If you don't know what to do, or maybe it's a rainy day, it could be time to start binge watching something. Whether it's a show you've seen a million times or you're looking for something new, there's a T.V. show for everyone.

The shows listed below are just a few of the shows I've seen in which I'd deem binge-worthy. There is quite a variety and, of course, you never know what mood you'll be in. I find it best to binge shows that are short, sitcom styles, but that doesn't mean that's all I enjoy. Reality T.V. is great for mindless fun and in-depth series for the days where you want to feel possibly more connected to something.

1. Brooklyn Nine Nine

This sitcom revolves around immature and quirky NYPD detective Jake Peralta, played by Andy Samberg, and his team in the 99th precinct. The show provides many laughs for its audience throughout the cases and criminals the squad has to deal with, as well as internal struggles between characters. It ties in popular culture references relatable to what is actually going on in the real world.

Cast includes Chelsea Peretti, Stephanie Beatriz, Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Joe Lo Truglio, Andre Braugher, Dirk Blocker and Joel McKinnon Miller.

Available for stream on Hulu, Amazon Video, YouTube, iTunes, & Google Play.

2. Love Island

This British dating show is the reboot of the original show which hosted an all-celebrity cast. This series casts regular everyday people hoping to find love.

Hosted by Caroline Flack, the show brings a fresh sense of what dating can really be like. The "Islanders" are welcomed to a villa where they must date around and find the other "Islander" they connect with most. Dates are stolen and drama flies but it's always in good fun. New "Islanders" are dropped into the show to stir things up and housemates are forced to vote other members out.

This show brings more to the table than American dating shows because it's uncensored and truly shows what the "Islanders" are up to — nothing is off limits.

Casts vary based on series, there are currently 3 series available while the 4th is being filmed now.

Available for stream on Hulu.

3. Cutthroat Kitchen

This is an out of the ordinary cooking show hosted by Alton Brown. Contestants each get $25,000 to start the competition and can use the money to buy sabotages for the other cooks. Not only do they have to prove they are amazing cooks, they must prove they can overcome any challenges thrown at them. The last cook standing gets to take home whatever money they have left, after spending on the sabotages.

​4. Desperate Housewives

This drama mixes aggressive housewives with timid neighbors. The show takes place on Wisteria Lane over the course of 13 years throughout 8 seasons. These housewives are not your typical soccer moms; they deal with out of the ordinary situations. They touch on topics such as suicide, divorce, death, murder, rape, cancer, and blackmail.

The show is not for the faint of heart and it's never safe to get attached to characters. The struggles the ladies face are taken in stride and of course side by side as most of the time more than one housewife is involved. This show proves friendship is one of the most important things in life. It goes to show that people you believe are living cozy lives may have more secrets than you might expect.

Cast includes Eva Longoria, Teri Hatcher, Marcia Cross, Felicity Huffman, James Denton, Nicollette Sheridan, Brenda Strong, Ricardo Antonio Chavira, Doug Savant, Andrea Bowen, Dana Delany and Vanessa Williams.

5. Party Down

If you enjoy dry humor, this is the perfect show for you. The comedy only ran for 2 seasons but brings a subtle hint of sarcastic humor to life. It follows a catering company full of employees who are washed up actors or still aspiring actors waiting for their break. In every episode the team is faced with a new event to cater which always brings humorous guests and plenty of drama. The team slowly becomes more like a family, with some even getting involved with one another.

Cast includes Adam Scott, Ken Marino, Lizzy Caplan, Ryan Hansen, Martin Starr, Jane Lynch, Megan Mullally and Jennifer Coolidge.

6. New Girl

This sitcom follows the life of Jessica Day a spunky and awkward school teacher, portrayed by Zoey Deschanel. Jess becomes a very relatable character for many as the series progresses. After being dumped, she is forced to find a new place to live and ends up moving in with three men she's never met. It follows the gang's development of relationships and the struggles of welcoming a "New Girl" into these guys' lives.

Throughout seven seasons the group becomes very close and end up meaning more to each other than they could have ever imagined possible.

Cast includes Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Hannah Simone, Lamorne Morris, Damon Wayans Jr and Nasim Pedard.

Available for stream on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, YouTube, iTunes, & Google Play.

7. Game of Thrones

c1.staticflickr.com

Based on the book, "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin, this drama follows the trials and tribulations of the fight to rule the Seven Kingdoms. Houses are pit against each other in the struggle to maintain or gain control and power. It has a medieval feel and shows that terror comes from within ourselves rather than from outside forces. If you like dragons and dead people that can battle alongside the living, this dark fantasy is for you.

Cast includes Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Sophie Turner, Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Maisie Williams, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Gwendoline Christie and Alfie Allen.

Available for stream on HBO, Hulu through the HBO add-on, HBO Go.

8. Parks and Recreation

This sitcom is a political satire full of awkward moments and romantic gestures. It follows the rise of local activist and park director Leslie Knope, played by Amy Poehler, and her crew within the parks department. It brings many laughs as the cast develops and things begin to fall into place. The lives of the characters are very relatable, though some situations are over the top, throughout the series making the show that much more enjoyable.

Cast includes Rashida Jones, Aziz Ansari, Nick Offerman, Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza, Adam Scott and Rob Lowe.

9. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

This dark sitcom follows "The Gang" as they go about life in Philadelphia. The Gang owns Paddy's Pub, a local Irish bar. Each member is very different in their own way, however, together they embark on unethical adventures. Most episodes consist of the group creating plots to capitalize on personal gain.

The show does touch very taboo topics, such as rape, gay culture, drugs, excessive drinking, infidelity, and fraud — so viewer: beware.

Cast includes Charlie Day, Glenn Howerton, Rob McElhenney, Kaitlin Olson and Danny DeVito.

10. Rick and Morty

This adult animated series follows mad scientist Rick Sanchez as he takes his grandson Morty Smith on dangerous and life-changing inter-dimensional adventures. Rick lives with his daughter, Beth, her husband, Jerry, and granddaughter, Summer. On top of hiding a lab in the garage from his family, Rick is a visible alcoholic constantly causing drama between the family.

This show will give you a laugh in every episode, though some things Rick does will make you cringe.

Voices provided by Justin Roiland, Sarah Chalke, Chris Parnell and Spencer Grammer.

Available for stream on Hulu, Adult Swim Stream, Amazon Video, YouTube, iTunes, & Google Play.

11. Gossip Girl

This drama follows the lives of the Upper East Sides elite teenagers. Based off the book series, the show provides narration from the secret "Gossip Girl" who posts to a blog in order to keep the teens connected through drama and gossip. Though the struggles they face are posh and based more so off of the social scene, it shows the difficulties of growing up in such families.

It deals with falling in love for the first time, heartbreaks, drugs, death, and back stabbing friends. If you ever wondered what it would be like to be born into the "It" scene, this show will cure your case of the envies.

Casts includes Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Ed Westwick, Chace Crawford, Penn Badgley, Taylor Momsen, Jessica Szohr, Kelly Rutherford and Matthew Settle.

Available for stream on Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube, iTunes, & Google Play.

12. The Office (U.S.)

This laugh-out-loud comedy sitcom is shot as a mockumentary. It follows the workers of Dunder Mifflin, a paper company located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. The show follows the development of the characters' lives and how they evolve within friendships and their careers. It illustrates the everyday lives of the employees and can honestly be very relatable at times.

The boss, Michael Scott, portrayed by Steve Carell, is an eccentric, over-the-top person who the employees attempt to deal with on a daily basis. This show will have you connected to the characters in no time, feeling as if you actually know them.

Cast includes Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, BJ Novak, Ed Helms, Kate Flannery, Angela Kinsey, Brian Baumgartner, Leslie David Baker, Paul Lieberstein, Oscar Nunez, Mindy Kaling, Craig Robinson and Creed Bratton.

13. Last Man on Earth

The year is 2020 and the world has been wiped out by a deadly virus in this comedy. It is not your typical zombie fighting post-apocalypse type of show. It starts by following Phil Miller, played by Will Forte, as he believes he is the only man left on Earth. As the show develops and Phil leaves notes for any other potential survivors, more characters are revealed. They have also survived the virus and begin to rebuild life with each other.

Despite being the only living people on Earth, the group of misfits has its ups and downs as they do not always see eye to eye. Eventually, they learn they are not the only people left and must face new groups who might not always be the warmest people. The show brings cringe worthy moments as well as laugh-out-loud humor.

Cast includes Kristen Schaal, Jason Sudeikis, January Jones, Cleopatra Coleman, Mel Rodriguez and Mary Steenburgen.