Billy Joel's 'Vienna,' A Life-Long Favorite, Has A New Meaning

The song is about more than taking time to stop and smell the roses. It's a message telling young people to take it easy.
275

My family always had great taste in music, and that definitely passed down to me. One of our favorite singers is Billy Joel. Ever since I can remember, his most famous song "Piano Man" has been blasting through my house. In a way, his music brings us together. We put on his albums while we're just hanging out, and have even attended several of his concerts at Madison Square Garden.

Most recently though, a song of his that I've been listening to my entire life has really struck a chord with me. One of my favorites of all time, "Vienna" from his album The Stranger, talks about taking time to enjoy your life (you may recognize it from the movie "13 Going on 30"). I always knew that this was the basic premise of the song, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago when I actually understood it.

The song is about more than taking time to stop and smell the roses. It's a message telling young people to take it easy. Lately, I feel as if everyone around me has it all figured out, making me feel obligated to do the same. Sometimes it's as if everyone is speeding ahead while I'm stuck in place. This song reassures me that I'm exactly where I need to be. Things take time, and that's OK. I don't need to rush to be successful right away.

I have my whole life to experience all this world has to offer. Why hurry to do it all this when none of it is going anywhere? As college students, let's enjoy our youth and stop worrying about getting ahead. Live for the moment and know that you need to start somewhere before you reach the top. Believe Mr. Joel when he says "you can't be everything you want to be before your time".

I'm truly astonished by the fact that a song I've been listening to for the past 19 years all of a sudden resonates with me so much. To be honest, this couldn't have come at a better time in my life. With questioning everything from areas of study, to worrying about life after graduation, this song grounds me. I'm encouraged to "dream on" and express my youth and naiveness. Still, it reminds me to come back to earth by telling me "don't imagine they'll all come true."

If you too feel like you don't have your life mapped out, it's OK. Take your time and do not settle. Live life at your own pace, for you are not trailing behind anyone. With our entire lives ahead of us, it's an understatement to say, "you can afford to lose or a day or two."

I'm grateful that a song I hold so dear to my heart has become applicable to my life, which I'm now realizing shouldn't be a dart to the finish line. Going through life patiently at a modest pace is the way to get what you want. While you do so, you're not missing out on anything. If luck hasn't been on your side, don't be discouraged. Sometimes you need to go find your own opportunities and happiness instead of waiting for things to come your way, for "Vienna waits for you."