TV Characters You Hated At First But Later Became Favorites

10 TV Characters You Hated At First But Learned To Love

Whether it was a huge character transformation or a bad backstory...

624
The Originals Always & Forever Fan Site

Almost every TV show has that one character that you hate at first or they seem like the most cruel people in the world, but as the show goes on you learn to love them. Whether if it is because of a huge character transformation or you find out why they are the way they are. Here are 10 characters I have had a dislike for in the beginning but as the show went on they became favorites.

1. Klaus Mikaelson (The Vampire Diaries and The Originals)

Klaus Mikaelson

livymichelle

This man enters The Vampire Diaries as the name everyone is afraid to talk about. He is a hybrid and an original vampire, meaning he is both werewolf and vampire, on top of that he is one of the first vampires to walk on earth. So, let's just say this is the guy you don't want as an enemy. In the beginning, he is a terrible person and the reason behind some of our beloved characters deaths in the show. You hate this man at first but then you find out his bad past and that sometimes this cold man can have a big heart. Klaus' biggest fear is simply being alone, even though he is his own destructor, a part of you feels bad for him. Plus, who doesn't love this guys twisted yet charming smile, accent, and the way he calls all women "love".

2. Katherine Pierce (The Vampire Diaries)

Katherine Pierce

giphy

Katherine is the main character, Elena's, doppelgänger and she is a mean one. Katherine is a vampire that has been very good at manipulating people to get what she wants. She is dangerous and will anyone die as long as she benefits. Anyone who knows her knows the line "I'm Katherine Pierce, I'm a survivor" and she is very right, no matter how many times people have tried to kill her she has somehow survived. Katherine makes you mad a lot but she has one of the most tragic backstories. This selfish and devious acts of hers is mostly because everyone she loves is dead, therefore, she chooses to only look after herself. You can't deny Katherine is a badass.

3. Mini Mcguinness (Skins UK)

Mini Mcguinness

Mini Mcguinness is in the 3rd generation of Skins. The 3rd generation isn't my favorite out of the Skins generations but Mini's character interested me. Mini is the bully in the beginning who bullies the girl Franky. Mini seems like the stereotypical mean girl who just enjoys bringing people down but as the show goes on you learn there is more to her. A father who isn't there and a lot of insecurities she has. Mini's insecurities causes her to shut down from people and create a mean girl persona in order to hide the fact that she is hurting. Mini can be a very relatable character once you get to know more about her.

4. Cheryl Blossom (Riverdale)

Cheryl Blossom

Tumblr

Cheryl Blossom seemed like she was also the stereotypical mean girl in season 1. You could tell she was the girl who ran the school and had a little army of Rivervixens (cheerleading squad). As the season goes on you realize her mother and father are terrible people and the only person she could trust was her brother, who died in the beginning of the show. Cheryl has a terrible home life to the point where she is sometimes scared for her life in her own home. She hides her tears and pretends like nothing hurts her because her only way of surviving is by staying strong. Cheryl seemed shady to me at first but then became my favorite character in Riverdale.

5. Paris Geller (The Gilmore Girls)

Paris Geller

Pinimg

Everybody who remembers Gilmore Girls, remembers Paris Geller. Her incredible rants and insults are both quotable and memorable. In the beginning she seemed mean and power hungry. She wanted to be the top student even if it meant breaking other people down. Her and the main character, Rory, were enemies but later became best friends. Paris' character remained spunky but became the most loyal friend Rory could have.

6. Steve Harrington (Stranger Things)

Steve Harrington

beyknowles

Steve Harrington had one of the biggest character transformations. In season 1 he was a bully and the annoying boyfriend of Nancy's. Then season 2 came in and all the sudden Steve was the best character, next to Dustin on the show. Steve went from the annoying boyfriend to an awesome babysitter to the stranger things crew.

7. Alice Cooper (Riverdale)

Alice Cooper

Fandom

In the beginning of Riverdale, I did not like Betty Cooper's mom, Alice Cooper. She seemed manipulative and it seemed like if her daughters didn't become who she wanted, she would block them out. Alice changes and starts wanting what is best for her daughters. She also becomes a badass and starts to realize she doesn't care what people think, in fact she embraces the rumors. Alice Cooper becomes the best role model for Betty and the two stick together through thick and thin.

8. Red (Orange is the New Black)

Red

Fandom

Red is the cook in Orange is the New Black and in the beginning she seems like she is going to be a constant nightmare throughout Piper Chapman's jail time. Red's introduction is her depriving Piper of food because she overheard her making a comment of the prison's food. Piper goes through days without eating and Red doesn't seem to care. This made me think I would hate Red but then you find out she's almost the mom of the place. She takes care of a lot of the inmates and has the biggest heart despite her hard exterior. Red does end up taking Piper under her wing and becomes motherly towards her as well. She protects the ones she cares about and is the toughest lady there and becomes my ultimate favorite character in the show.

9. Mickey Milkovich (Shameless US)

Mickey Milkovich

Degrassi Wiki

Now, some people might have liked Mickey from the start but his introduction was this guy who was always filthy and looked as if he never showered; chasing Ian saying he was going to kill him. Not the best first impression. Mickey has a huge attitude but also the best insults. He is sarcastic and sometimes violent but his character transformation made him more loved. Once him and Ian became an item, their relationship was the one to ship because it brings out Mickey's heart. Especially when Ian's bipolar depression was infecting him Mickey stuck with him and they were relationship goals. Mickey became one of shameless' beloved characters.

10. James Cook (Skins UK)

Cook

gfycat

Cook was one of the characters in the 2nd generation of Skins which is a favorite generation of mine. Cook makes you want to reach into the screen and smack him in the face because he is being an idiot. He enjoys rubbing the fact that he has Effy into his best friends face (who is in love with her). He also likes to be a "wanker" to all that get close to him. Cook seems like he doesn't have a care in the world but the truth is he has been hurt too many times and is afraid of it happening again. He doesn't like people seeing his good side but he does have one. Cook proves this when Freddie needed him the most, in fact he proves it when anybody he secretly cares about needs him the most. He can be a "wanker" but he is the most loyal friend the characters could have.

All of these characters will make you mad at some points but then they also can move your heart like no other. These characters prove that everyone can have a good and bad side. Most of them pretend to be when they are really good because their biggest fear is letting people in. They are too afraid to let people see who they really are.