Counting Your Blessings Helps Your Anxiety

Anxiety Is Big Burden, But Counting Your Blessings Can Help It Become A Lighter Load

When you take a look at your life, the blessings outweigh the worries.

223

I am a huge overthinker. Whether it's the tone in someone's voice, the way a stranger looks at me, or the barista doesn't respond when I say "have a good day," I will spend the next several hours analyzing the moment where I might have gone wrong. If someone doesn't reply to my text with an exclamation point after I've used about six in my previous message, I automatically assume the worst.

If overthinking was a job, it would be my lifelong career.

The problem with overthinking is that it's so easy to do it. It's so easy to believe that someone's intentions towards you are malicious, and it's easy to accept that you're in the wrong, despite the fact that you haven't done anything to cultivate this idea. Overthinking can sometimes cause an unnecessary amount of anxiety, making even the simplest of tasks difficult to complete. Overthinking also makes it even harder to get past the things that make you anxious, whether it be big or small things.

What you need to remind yourself of is the idea that you are above what makes you anxious.

For some people, this can be a hard pill to swallow. It may feel as though your anxieties absorb aspects of your life, or it may feel like you don't have any control of the situation. If you're questioning your power, this message right here is to tell you that you have all of the power in the world. No one is in charge of how you feel other than yourself. Though defeating the entire concept of overthinking is serious work, it is a process that is well worth your time.

It is unnecessary to stress over the what-ifs and the should-haves. Focusing on the present moment, being intentional, and practicing kindness will take you much farther in life than overthinking your actions or words.

You are in control of your current situation and you have the power to overcome the things that make you anxious.

There is not one person or thing in this world that holds power over how you feel. When you feel overwhelmed or unsure of your path in life, you can put things into perspective by taking a step back from your current situation. Instead of focusing on the things that make you anxious, turn your attention toward your blessing. Write down the aspects of your life that make you feel blessed, like your family, friends, education, or home.

Counting your blessings each day can help you realize that there is so much more to life than your anxieties. The blessings make each day of overthinking a little bit easier, and continuing to be mindful of your blessings can help to decrease how often you overthink. Actively counting my blessings has done absolute wonders for me and my overthinking happens. You could potentially change your outlook on life by doing this, too.