Big and Tall, but nowhere in sight

Big and Tall, but nowhere in sight

Plus-Size for Men Is Not Advertised The Way It Should Be

344
Plus Size

It's a common saying that the clothes make the man. From classy business attire to a casual summer look, a man is truly defined by his sense of fashion and style. But, what if those clothes happen to not fit?

Listen- it's a fantastic idea that plus-size women's clothing is advertised, but what about men? Why are men left in the dust when it comes to finding the right clothes?

Popular retail stores like Target, Walmart and Kohls always have that XXL shirt on hand. But when you want to shop at a high-end store like Nordstroms, buying XXL clothes is the equivalent of winning the lottery.

So what exactly makes it harder to find plus-size clothing for men, or why is it not incorporated into store catalogs?

According to the Globe and Mail, major retailers are largely ignoring plus-size clothing for men, and almost view it as a low priority issue in today's culture. Some have even argued that plus-size clothing for men isn't sexy, or important. Even if the popular stores such as Vans, Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, Zumiez, larger sizes for men are carried, but they receive extremely low quantities of larger sizes for men, or it's not advertised appropriately.

It's kind of a weird topic to discuss since we as a culture, being the United States, are always accepting of people of larger size and how to accept their image, particularly women. We need to do the same for men. The stereotype for men being macho, fit and muscular is a good idea, but we need to incorporate the large, bulky and thicker side of men.

I've personally struggled with this issue. Both with self-image issues and buying the right clothes, I want to look good and feel good on a daily basis. I try to keep up with the times and trends, I want to look fabulous and handsome. I want to own great clothes that will make a statement. But nowadays, clothes for large men are hard to come by.

I've been working in retail for quite some time, and in the past couple of months, it certainly has got me thinking. I've been working at Forever 21 for the past 8 months now, and from time to time, if I see a something that looks nice, I'll grab it. But the major deal breaker is I can't find my size. And if I do, it's either hidden away in some obscure part of the men's section or it will be a weird design that still feels too tight when I try it on. Even the XL sizes feel weird.

I feel once people are able to talk about plus-size mens' clothing regularly, then that is when we will be able to see it at our favorite shopping places.