5 Verses For Fighting Your Fear Off Missing Out

5 Bible Verses For Fighting Your Fear Of Missing Out

If you've ever felt guilt for taking a nap instead of getting things done, these verses are for you.

2705
Photo by Allen Taylor on Unsplash

All throughout my freshman year of college, I felt guilt for resting. I would (literally) run from one activity or event to the net without giving myself a break. Sometimes I'd actually attempt to take a nap, only to give up when I remembered how much laundry I needed to do or which workout I didn't complete. Finally, I broke down and admitted these feelings to my Life Leader, who told me that God can use anyone to accomplish whatever he needs. If I wanted to lay in my room all day, I wouldn't be disappointing him. As for disappointing other people, sometimes that's just out of our control. Here are 10 verses to help you fight your FOMO (fear of missing out).

In Repentance And Rest Is Your Salvation

https://deskgram.net/explore/tags/isaiah3015

The world screams at us to work harder and achieve more. God doesn't want that. He is bigger than any human expectations, and he accomplishes what he wants through his Holy Spirit working in us. It's just not up to us. For the perfectionists, this is a really difficult concept to grasp, but God's ways are very different from our own.

His thoughts are higher than ours, and he tells us that rest can be even more important than achievements. Somehow, his peace will guard us when we choose to believe what he says.

There Is No Condemnation

https://davidmaby.com/there-is-therefore-now-no-condemnation-for-those-who-are-in-christ-jesus/

Jesus doesn't condemn us when we're not perfect. If you feel called to go do something for him, do it! But if you're tired and worn out, he specifically tells us in Matthew 11:28-30: "Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Jesus doesn't want us to carry the burdens that we've created for ourselves. That's why it's important to lift up and admit every negative emotion or thought that we have. We weren't meant to carry the weight of the world. Humans are weak, and we are incapable of handling full schedules unless Christ has explicitly called us to that. If you need a break, God commands you to take a break!

He Has Made Our Lot Secure

http://www.ginabutz.com/2013/04/18/this-is-assigned/

God already predestined you for a delightful inheritance. You can't earn it! Does that take some of the pressure off? In addition to this truth, we know that God doesn't even desire perfection from us. I don't understand how that could be since he is perfect. But, somehow, God doesn't have unrealistic expectations of us. Don't confuse this with God not having unbelievable plans, however.

God has a wonderful purpose in store for you, but you can't earn it and no amount of failures will prevent it from coming about. This wonderful paradox was invented by God, who only asks you to have as much faith in him as you are able.

My Times Are In His Hands

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pastorjoshmw/31592954150

As someone who likes to be in control, I've been forced to surrender my plans for God's. I hate admitting that about myself, but perfectionism is a big flaw that I have. Once I do allow God to have his hand over my day, I actually feel satisfied and peaceful. Of course, feelings don't make something true, but God created facts and emotions, so he works through both.

That's why he says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Then the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7). This method does work. When anxious thoughts start to flood my mind, I actually have to force myself to admit exactly what I'm feeling to Christ, ask him to take care of my worries, and then thank him for whatever it is. It's so difficult to do this, but it works.

My stomach will hurt really badly whenever I get anxious, and the only thing that takes the pain away is my choice to trust God. He's even told me to thank him for the pain because sometimes it's the only way he can get my attention. The pain is also one of the biggest things that draw me into his love.

Even God Seems "Slow" Sometimes

https://dailyverses.net/2-peter/3/9/kjv

God takes his sweet time. After starting my new job as a waitress, it was really hard for me to focus on caring about the peoples' needs, instead of focusing on what I needed to "get done." This has always been a really big struggle for me...caring about people more than the things I want to achieve.

Jesus never acted that way. When he desperately needed his alone time, he chose to speak to crowds instead. When he was hungry, he fed the 5,000 first. When his best friend died, Jesus took 3 days to listen to God before he healed him. Jesus was never in a hurry, and he put others' needs above his own. If we start living like that, our FOMO won't even have a place in our minds. We'll be too busy trying to put other people first.