10 Bible Verses All Good Christians Must Obey

If you can do everything through God who strengthens you, you can obey these verses.

1708
pexels

Ah, Christians. Either you love them or hate them. You think they're the best thing since birthday cake or you think they're more annoying than mosquitoes in June. Maybe you've been introduced to several in your lifetime. Or hundreds. Or thousands. Maybe you were one once. Maybe you still are.

I consider myself a Christian individual, however, I don't agree with a lot of people on the actions they take in defense of religion. I was never one of those youth group types who went around trying to "save" people or come up with meaningless activities that were more intended to keep kids out of trouble than teach them anything about God.

That being said, as a Christian, I consider the following Bible verses to be essential in knowledge if you are to call yourself Christian. Most of these are self-explanatory, but I'll add a disclaimer at the end if I figure a verse warrants one.

1. "There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers."--Proverbs 6:16-19

2. "Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight." --Romans 12:16

3. "But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart." --Matthew 5:28

This is not talking about being intimate with one's partner, rather it focuses on pornography, for "looking at a woman with lustful intent" is treating her as an object.

4. "Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry."--Colossians 3:5

Long story short: get your libidos under control!

5. "But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth."--Colossians 3:8

Note that it does not say to put away anger from your heart. This passage is not about never being angry, it is about not lashing out at others when angry. I've had to work on this quite a bit myself.

6. "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant." --1 Corinthians 13:4

7. "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." --Proverbs 16:18

8. "Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches..."-- Jeremiah 9:23

In other words, don't use your intelligence to make others feel stupid, don't use your strength to make others feel weak, you get the picture.

9. "And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”--Luke 12:15

Watch out for greed in its least expected forms. Money can buy lots of things, but happiness isn't one of them.

10. "If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen."--1 John 4:20

This one I consider most important; so many people who demand "religious freedom" are completely unaware of this verse.