Beyond The Classroom: 11 Questions to Ask Yourself

Learning What Matters

17
delta college

It doesn't matter what you've read, classes you've taken or philosophies you've embraced, if you can merely recite from memory without conviction, "book smart" becomes meaningless.

It makes no difference how well educated you are, if you do not live and learn with purpose, joy and kindness. It makes very little difference what religion you belong to if you do not study, agree and implement its teachings.

What truly does matters is that you know who you are, what you believe and that you live with intent, kindness and direction.

Knowing yourself, being self aware and well self-cared for, will allow you to embrace knowledge with a fresh new perspective.

You will hunger for it instead of it being force fed. You will want to grow and expand like never before.

Here are some qualifying questions that may help you to explore:

1. What do I enjoy doing now/what did I enjoy doing that has changed?

2. What lights up my face and animates my conversation?

3. Am I on the right path to make a change or contribution to or in my field of study?

4. Who am I now vs who do I want to become?

5. Am I on target in becoming that person?

6. Do I laugh enough? Do I smile?

7. Am I judgmental of myself and/or others?

8. Do I allow enough time to focus on myself and my relationships?

9. Do I unplug, spend time in nature?

10. Am I a good friend?

11. Do I have good friends?

Never be judged by what you know, but instead by what you've done with it, how you've lived and how you've treated others. Education matters but the person that you become, because of it, matters more. Allow your mind and heart to grow in unison.