Poetry On Odyssey: Beware Of The Siren's Song

"No Siren Did Ever So Charm The Ear Of The Listener, As The Listening Ear Has Charmed The Soul Of The Siren." -Henry Taylor

892
www.theartstack.com

Don't listen to the Siren’s song no matter the plea, They scream in your heart and tantalize your mind. “The Siren’s song is so, so beautiful… If I can only jus-

“No! Can’t you see the rhythmic waves are only what you desire, to be true? Stay strong, your hubris does not define you.” I can fight this… I, I can, what happened was not my fault, but the voices are so soft, they almost seem to be in pain. I, I must help them!

Nemo wake up!

They seemed to know his name, and his cognizance, “Nemo, oh dearest Nemo," they sang in his thoughts, come help us. Hear our pain.”

I’m coming!

Ophelia was lost, drowning as the waves claimed her, ripped from his hands she screamed, “Nemo! Nemo! Don’t leave me, please!”

Gone.

He swam towards the voices as they screamed and bellowed, pain carrying their fear with every melody—even as the ship grew smaller, the grotto grew nearer. Abruptly, the mouth of the translucent rocks smiled, Inviting Nemo further.

At last, he broke the surface fully enthralled by the beautiful sorrow etched in every echo and every rhythm. “I am here, despite delay, I will save thee as I promised." At long last he arrived, finding beautiful women with shimmering tails tickled by ringlets; emulating various shades of coral; bearing faces full of sorrow, for those taken by the unforgiving Sea Father.

“Tis thee, at last, our savior has come!” they rejoiced. “Come closer take us ashore so we may be freed from suffering, crashing, and breaking." “Dearest Ophelia, I swear I will liberate and take thee home, after all of this time,” Nemo proclaimed. “Your eyes are as beautiful, as ever, allow me a peek at your soul: ah yes so… eerie, your smile once so joyous, the sun shined brighter…; now filed with malice like frigid water, with teeth for tearing.

Nemo, why did you leave me?

“Do not be foolish our eyes gleam our sorrow for they lack, the radiant sun, while smiles grew dimmer and elongated teeth, a reminder of our former beauty.” Ringlets of joy dulled to alabaster and obsidian, skin so fragile, nothing remains but dull leather.

“Wait! You are not my dearest Ophelia," Nemo said in a daze. “Silly boy, of course, we are your sweet Ophelia, remember, You let go, you let the waves consume, tossing, and tumbling without breath,” she seemed to say. “No, no the surf rose and claimed you from me-“

“Lies! you allowed the Sea Father to claim, you have forsaken us, punishment is the cause, for bearing this burden.

They deceive you.

Wispily, “You have arrived, come home to me—the love that you have lost, her you desire more than anything to hold again.” "Do not give in my dearest sailor, defog your mind and open your eyes, Ophelia blared." Love is stronger than death and "You insufferable girl, your spirit cannot save his mind, wash away into the depths of the sea and leave us this feast of pleasure.

Come Home.

“Ophelia, I am sorry. I should have done more to help, now you are gone,” Nemo muttered regrettably. I think it best to welcome my companion solace I must get home.