Beware The Hauntings: Ghosts Of The Whaley House

Sees the ghost dog yet still wants to pet it because it's a good girl.

366
The Whaley House Museum FaceBook

One of my more favorite episodes of BuzzFeed Unsolved, the haunted Whaley House located in San Diego, California is one of the most haunted places in California. The house, built in 1857 by Thomas Whaley himself, was based on the Greek Revival architecture. Thomas, his wife Anna and their three kids moved into the house and opened a general store within a few months.

But, some believed the house was destined to be haunted since Thomas Whaley built it on the property of the town executions of the famous thief Jim Robinson. Anyway, within 18 months of living in their new home, their young son Thomas died of scarlet fever. A few months later after their son's death, a fire started in the home and ruined the general store.

After the fire, Thomas moved the family to San Francisco. But, in 1868 the Whaley's returned to their home in San Diego with now five children and it became the headquarters for the city courthouse, theater troupe, and general store. But, when locals began to move out to establish a new town, Thomas Whaley refused to move.

In 1871 when Thomas was away on a business trip, his wife was held at gunpoint by someone who was trying to seize the courthouse records. Then several years later, one of the Whaley daughters would commit suicide. Violet, who was depressed after her divorce shot herself in the chest in August 1885.

*All hauntings listed below are found on the Whaley House Museum website .

The first ghost of the house was Jim Robinson, no surprise there since he was hung on the property. After the Whaley's moved in they would hear heavy footsteps throughout the house. Visitors have seen the phantom walking around, windows being unlatched and flying up with no explanation driving some to leave early.

Some visitors have reported seeing the couple themselves- Thomas and Anna Whaley. Many have felt as if they have seen Thomas' apparition on the upper landing of the house, just standing there or sometimes waving at people (how friendly, but freaky). Others have seen Anna in the downstairs or garden.

Others have reported seeing a figure in the courthouse. They say the spirit is a figure of a small woman, wearing a long skirt, with a cap on her head, dark eyes, and hair with gold hoop earrings. Since none of the Whaley's fit this description it could possibly be a tenant that Whaley rented out too during the years.

Then there is the young girl who is found in the dining room. Legend has it that it is the ghost of a playmate of the Whaley children who broke her neck on a low-hanging clothesline in the backyard.

Even animals seem to be haunting the Whaley House. One visitor reported seeing a spotted dog running down the hall into the dining room. The dog is believed to be the Whaley's terrier named Dolly Varden.

Even the grounds around the Whaley house seem to be haunted due to once being the center of a thriving city. There is a graveyard located next to the Whaley House, so could that also be a reason for the many hauntings?

With a house that has such a rich history and excitement, how could it not be haunted to be quite honest?