Beverage Debate: Coca-Cola Versus Pepsi

Beverage Debate: Coca-Cola Versus Pepsi

Some people prefer Coca-Cola while others prefer Pepsi, but is there really a difference?

1060
Slide Share

Soda is an extremely popular beverage globally because people do not have to be concerned about how clean the beverage is, especially in countries where the water is not drinkable. In the Cola Wars, Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola are the top competitors amongst consumers, but why is this? For those of you who may not already know this, I am absolutely obsessed with Coca-Cola (extremely visible on all of my social media), so I will try to be as unbiased as possible here as I debate Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola.

In 1886, Dr. Pemberton came up with a unique formula for a sugary beverage with a carbonated kick--Coca-Cola. The beverage was sold in a curvy and classy bottle designed solely for Coca-Cola. Caleb Davis Bradham was the founder of what is now known as Pepsi-Cola. At first, the beverage was sold as Brad’s Drink in 1893. By 1989, the product went through a name change to the current one of Pepsi-Cola. Both of the drinks have a very similar chemical makeup with just slight differences in the product.

Notably, these two companies have had competing products for years. The feud is actually known as the Cola Wars. Grace Williams discusses the “war” against the two popular soda brands during the 1980s and writes that Coke was considered the ‘real thing,’ while Pepsi was the ‘choice of a new generation.' One of the easiest ways to examine the feud is through the marketing techniques employed through the two companies. Both will either copy one another's trend or criticize the others marketing ploy. In one case, Pepsi-Cola criticized the iconic polar bear that Coca-Cola uses. The two companies have both partaken in marketing ideas that imply that happiness can be achieved with their beverage.

Some people really believe that Pepsi and Coke taste completely different. There is actually a WikiHow that teaches people how to tell the difference between the two product. Basically the breakdown is that the products differentiate in taste, intensity, sweetness, carbonation levels, and aroma. I personally do not see a difference in the two products but perhaps you may be able to if you conduct your own experiment. They suggest taking small sips of each to test the difference.

In the grand scheme of things, the two companies sell many other beverages in addition to Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola. Examples are Mountain Dew, Fanta, Minute Maid, Sierra Mist, Dasani, and Aquafina are a few. As of today, Coca-Cola is valued at $79.2 billion whereas PepsiCo is valued at $19.2 billion. Perhaps I am being biased being that I support Coca-Cola and am providing many facts that show Coca-Cola as the superior company. But, for those who enjoy Pepsi-Cola, happy drinking. For those who enjoy Coca-Cola, congratulations, you the real MVP.

Beverage Throw Down: Coke And Pepsi Against The World

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between...

http://www.pepsistore.com/history.asp

https://www.worldofcoca-cola.com/about-us/coca-col...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42255151/ns/business-us_business/t/sweet-americas-top-brands-soda/#.V8RQr5MrK9Y

http://www.businessinsider.com/soda-wars-coca-cola...