The 5 Best Things To Do In Austin This Month

The city has a lot to offer, but what are the things you must try?
6

It's a new month, which means plenty of opportunities to try and do new and fun things around the city. Austin can be overwhelming with the large amount things to do, places to go and things to eat, but I've narrowed down my top five things to do this month in Austin.

1. Enchanted Rock.

Although this is technically not in Austin, it's a short 90 minute drive from here. Take a road trip/day trip to Fredricksburg and hike up to the top of the rock, walk along the trails, have a picnic and soak in the sun. After you're done, go into town and do some shopping or try some German cuisine.

2. Congress Bat Bridge.

Every night around sunset, 1.5 million Mexican free-tailed bats emerge from underneath the Congress Avenue Bridge, creating a beautiful sight with the skyline and the river as a backdrop. This month will likely be your last chance to go as the bats will migrate for the winter towards the end of the month and won't return until March! Get there early to ensure a good viewing spot and enjoy the show.

3. Halcyon.

In my opinion, one of the best places to go on a chilly night. This coffee shop/bar/lounge is a great place to grab a hot drink and relax inside. They are known for their s'mores where you can roast marshmallows over your own personal fire and make the s'mores yourself. It's the perfect treat!

4. Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In.

Watch your favorite movies drive-in style and pretend like it's 1950. Check out their selection of scary movies this month for Halloween and enjoy this unique movie experience. They even sell food, snacks and hot drinks to savor while you watch.

5. Check out a local show.

Now that ACL is nearly over and you're still craving more, look at the upcoming schedules for venues like Stubb's, Emo's, The Parish, etc. and find a band or show that interests you. These unique Austin venues always provide an enjoyable and more intimate experience, and the tickets don't tend to be too expensive.

So what are you waiting for? Get to it!