The Best Things about Freshman Year

The Best Things about Freshman Year

It's not all bad my friends...

68
The Best Things about Freshman Year
Ashley Krause

College, the biggest change there is for teenagers these days... Leaving the comfort of home, the parents who have done everything for you, and the ease of separating school and home life. Even though the initial move to college is quite tough, freshman year does have its high points!

1. Freedom

While I'm not telling you to go out and become a wild child with a crap ton of new tattoos and piercings, you do have the freedom to do that in college. There isn't anyone sitting there telling you what to do. If you don't set an alarm, no one will wake you up for class (unless you have the best roommate ever like me). Your mom isn't there to remind you to do your homework every night before bed. No one is going to cook you 5 course meals... the dining hall it is! You have a lot more freedom in college, but with that comes responsibility. Yes, go out and have fun with your friends, skip a class or two to go see a movie, and heck even eat out once in a while. However, none of the fun things will matter in the end if you don't do your school work. You actually have to be a good student to enjoy all of the freedom that comes with it my friends. Be spontaneous and enjoy the time you have in college! :)

2. Personal Growth

There is no way that you can go to away to college and not experience personal growth of some kind. College forces you away from everything you know, your hometown, your friends, family, etc. You are forced to become an independent human being, and honestly I would not trade that for the world. I learned so much about myself and about being an adult freshman year. From laundry to what you want to do for the rest of your life, you learn it all! You no longer depend solely on your parents, but don't completely forget about them, because as much as you have grown you still need them every once in awhile... So try new things, take risks, and learn from your mistakes. A little personal growth never hurt anybody!

3. Creating a home away from home...

Ah, college dorms, freshmen dorms to be exact. Your dorm usually comes with the standard colors of beige and brown, with chipping paint to top it off. However, over time your dorm truly becomes home! You can decorate it however you like (within reason), come and go as you please, and you get to live with the people who will become your best friends! What more could a girl want?

4. Unlimited COFFEE

Now I understand that not every one entering college likes coffee; heck I didn't at first! However, with the stress of classes/assignments, lack of sleep, the dreaded 8AM class you forgot you signed up for...you are going to learn to love it. Luckily for you, coffee is EVERYWHERE on a college campus! In the library (free coffee), coffee shop (obviously), even the dorms (at least one friend you make will have a Keurig). You can find coffee pretty much anywhere and it really gets you through a rough day on campus :)

5. Lifelong Friends

I know this will probably sound cheesy, but trust me it is true. During college (especially freshman year), you will form lifelong friendships. You are all in the exact same boat freshman year, away from your family and old friends, excited but also terrified for the future, etc. Whatever you are feeling when you arrive, you are NOT alone! There is always someone else who is feeling the exact same way that you are -- they just might not come out and say it right away. My advice to you incoming freshmen is this: go out of your way to meet new people, delve deeply into those friendships, and trust each other because in reality you are all each other has!