Ranking The Best Star Wars Lightsaber Duels, Live Action And Animated
Film

The 11 Best Lightsaber Duels Star Wars Ever Gave Us, From Prequels To Sequels

Lightsabers are one of the things that make "Star Wars" "Star Wars."

559

"A New Hope: is where it all started, but it isn't where it ends. Amazing duels are constantly being created by the team behind the scenes, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I also want to throw out there I didn't include the throne room scene from "The Last Jedi" as I didn't think it was really a lightsaber duel… however, it is one of the best displays of lightsaber fighting in the whole series. Check it out here!

11. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader | Episode 4: "A New Hope."

I don't think there is any arguing the fact that this is not one of the most exciting duels in "Star Wars"; However, it is the duel that started so many people down the path of no return! Without this battle, we would not be where we are now.

10. Kanan Jarrus (& Ezra Bridger) vs The Grand Inquisitor | "Star Wars Rebels" TV. Show. 

One of quite a few duels that we saw fought between Kanan and The Grand Inquisitor. However, this one proved to me to be the best of them all. We see a more skilled Kanan, something I had wanted from the series, vs an opponent that only get better and better with each meeting.

9. Rey vs Kylo Ren | Episode 7, "The Force Awakens."

An injured Kylo vs a force sensitive and angry Rey, mixed with the popping colors of the sabers against and dark and snow-covered landscape made this how scene really visually appealing to watch. Even bleeding out Kylo still has some stellar looking moves to bust.

8. Yoda vs Count Dooku (Darth Tyranus) | Episode 2: "Attack of the Clones."

The first time in canon media that we saw Yoda use his lightsaber and against his former padawan, Count Dooku, one of the greatest swordsmen to have ever lived.

7. Nightsisters vs Count Dooku | "Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

Back when Dooku was a Jedi Master, he was regarded to be one of the best duelists in the Jedi order. With his transformation to the Sith, he became the most formable foe to the whole order. We see the skill here as he duels blind against three lightsaber wielding assassins.

6. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader | "Episode 6: Return of the Jedi."

There is so much going on in this duel, a lot of people agree this is one of the best duels in the whole series. Why I don't know about that, it is one of the best. Seeing the way the Palpatine manipulates both Luke and Vader is a testament to his own power, something that wasn't seen too much in the OT.

5. Ahsoka Tano vs Darth Vader | "Star Wars Rebels."

Ahsoka Tano meets the new version of her former master in a duel she'll never forget. This duel is extremely emotional to watch if you know the history of the two. The two who grew up and learned from and matured together.

4. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader | "Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back."

This duel is ALL about Vader! Essentially from the moment we see him on screen, in his towering stance, we know Luke is is going to have one of the biggest struggles of his life.

3. Obi-Wan Kenobi & Ventress vs Darth Maul & Savage Opress | "Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

If you haven't seen "The Clone Wars" TV series, then you may not know that Obi-Wan and Ventress have a bit of a violent history, so the fact that we see them teaming up to fight a common enemy is really neat. The way both pairs work together, even without really training together beforehand, is really well done.

2. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader | "Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith."

It was hard for me not to put this as number one on my list. The mixed emotions of love, hate, betrayal, and fear that they both exhibit are so strong and real, then topped with the exciting fast-paced fight makes this scene so stacked. The only thing that I could think of to improve this fight is an edit a fan made a few years ago where Anakin uses a red saber. If you haven't seen it before, go check it out now..

1. Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul | "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace."

The music. The players. The moves. The sabers. The setting. This was the first major lightsaber battle shown in film since the 1980s, and as such, it had a lot to live up to, and by golly did it ever. Even though "The Phantom Menace" constantly gets an unfair dislike to its name, the movie opened so many doors that would be explored later that have really widened the "Star Wars" universe.