The 10 Best Netflix Movies To Watch On A Rainy Day, And One Of Them Is 'Shrek'

Weather got you down? Wind down, bundle up, spend the day watching these exceptionally good movies.

2939
DreamWork Pictures

It's a normal weekday, you don't have anything to do other than wonder why you have nothing to do and try to convince yourself to get up and have some form of human interaction. Then by God's good graces, it begins to rain. And this is no everyday, run of the mill sort of rain, this is some torrential downpour, the stuff that basically forces you to not leave your bed for a full 24 hours (not really but whatever). Usually, we wish for days like these because it forces us to take a break and finally relax, but what's a rainy day without a movie marathon?

Navigating Netflix can be hard at times because there are so many busts, however, there are a few hidden gems that you probably wouldn't realize existed, but alas, I have done the digging for you. So sit back, relax, and enjoy 10 of the best and most diverse films Netflix has to offer for a rainy day.

1. Moana

This Disney film is filled with catchy tunes and cute animated characters sure to tickle anyone's fancy. Your inner child will probably feel an intense sense of nostalgia from the days when Disney princesses were your very own superheroes. Maybe, just maybe, you'll even shed some tears during this heart-warming film; but hey, that's okay, no one else gets to see you ugly cry on this wonderfully stormy day. All in all, "Moana" is one of the fiercest princesses Disney has ever brought to life, and the film is a must-see.

2. Sleeping With Other People

This rom-com is one for the books and definitely one of my all-time favorites. Whatever your relationship status may be, this movie will reassure in a very light-hearted and comedic way that you're probably not the only one who sucks at love at times. Or maybe, it will make you discover that your guy best friend is actually the love of your life, which is also a slippery slope but IDK, it's worth it.

3. Amanda Knox

One of the most popular documentaries on Netflix that follows the murder mystery of Amanda Knox. This film will leave you just as confused as you were before you started the film, however, whether or not Amanda Knox is the culprit is left to your interpretation. Similar to a "choose your own adventure book," but different.

4. To The Bone

This Netflix original film sheds light on the prevalence and reality of anorexia while maintaining a somewhat light-hearted tone throughout the film. Lily Collins does a wonderful job of recreating the harsh reality of someone living with anorexia day-to-day. Overall, the movie remains informative and hopeful for those who knows someone or personally struggling with the disorder.

5. Spotlight

This film tells the true story of the Boston Globe's discovery of the inexcusable acts that were covered up by Catholic Church. The film is quite moving in the sense that it sheds light on a subject that is often shunned because it is nearly too hard to believe.

7. Lion

This up-lifting drama is based on a true story about a boy who grew up in the slums of India, to be adopted by an Australian family. The film follows the boy's journey to find his birth family. It's a real tear-jerker and will remind you how lucky you are. Watch it, seriously, just take my word for it.

8. The Conjuring

One of the most horrifying films and definitely in the top 5 scariest movies on Netflix. Scariest part, this film is based on the true horrors that a New-England family endured in their seemingly normal farmhouse. If you like spooks with a thick storyline, this is a change of pace for your rainy day.

9. The Godfather

Probably one of the greatest films of all time. Really unsure how Netflix got this gem, but you better watch it before it goes poof into the black-hole of recycled Netflix films. This film will make you wish your family was a part of the mob!

10. Shrek

To end your rainy day movie marathon, here's a classic that will remind you that love knows no limits and if two ogres can find love, so can you!